HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Ruger Super Duper Blackhawk!!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
For what purpose do you fellows find the "hand cannons" useful? I can imagine carrying one in big bear country but I am a bit puzzled about what other situations this would be an ideal tool.

I do occasionally use a T/C Contender or an open sighted S&W 629 to poke a deer. Will you use it for elk perhaps?
Other than adding range - no they're not "ideal" for deer.

For REALLY big stuff, I'll admit, I'm a bit perplexed at the comments of the PH that I'm working with right now, I've taken buffalo with hot 44mag loads, but I'm getting comments that the 454C might be on the light end for Cape Buffalo. Then again, there are lots of folks that think the 458win mag is light too...

The super magnum revolvers have a lot of range. If you can put it on the mark, those big bullets trucking at those speeds will do the job. Comparatively, a 454 Casull at 500yrds is about equivalent to a 45 Colt at the muzzle! Or similarly, a 454C is equivalent at 100-150yrds to a 44mag at the muzzle! If a guy just wants to shoot 50yrds or less at deer, then the 454C is just extra recoil. But if you want to shoot something bigger, or over 100yrds, then the extra energy is nice.

For the 454C and 480R Super Blackhawks, I'll be honest, my only real purpose is just to own them and enjoy some range time with them, although I'm sure I'll take them hunting occasionally. I already have other super magnum revolvers as my "primary" hunting revolvers, so taking anything else in the field is just for fun.