Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Del-Ton AR-15 >

Del-Ton AR-15

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Del-Ton AR-15

Old 08-06-2015, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Del-Ton AR-15

It looks like the prices of AR-15's are dropping, maybe the confiscation scare is losing steam. I seen a few of these Del-Ton rifles at the LGS for $499. I have always wanted an AR-15, but not bad enough to pay skyrocketed prices. This looks like good deal to me. Of course I want to ask all you fellow gun enthusiasts because I never heard of this brand before. Maybe someone here is familiar with this company or has some advice on buying an entry level AR-15.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best thing about AR-15's is that they are modular.

So you can buy a "mil-spec" AR and switch out parts as you want.

Del-Ton is as good as any entry level AR to start with IMO.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

they are all about the same
RR
Old 08-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

So much truth about the modular part. The LGS guy showed me all the stuff I could add or swap with this rifle. I never imagined AR's could have so many options.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

My first AR was a Del-Ton. Still have it, and it's had a lot of rounds through it. I've built a handful of them using Del-Ton stripped uppers and lowers. They make a pretty good product. Even if you wanted to go with a basic model, it would be easy to upgrade it later.

Just to be fair, DPMS is another good brand. They make a model called the Sportical. I think you can still find them on sale for $499. They're nothin fancy, but throw a nice trigger in one, and they'll shoot with the best of 'em.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Del-Ton kits have been around a long time, heck, they've been around before most of these other folks got into the AR-15 game. I wanna say that it was somewhere around 2002 that I bought my first del-ton kit. They're not great, just mil-spec rifles, but if you want a cheap rifle that will run (what AR-15 won't?), then they're not a bad choice - but I wouldn't buy one.

The problem, however, is that you can buy a DPMS or Bushmaster carbine for the same price during sales, or $100 more at regular price, either of which will be a better finished rifle that will better hold resale value.

All in all, I wouldn't buy another Del-ton rifle or kit. There are better rifles at better values and at the same price out there.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Most of the internal parts in a Del-Ton come from DPMS, anyway. From what I've seen, Bushmaster is on par with Del-Ton and DPMS, not better.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cjclemens
Most of the internal parts in a Del-Ton come from DPMS, anyway. From what I've seen, Bushmaster is on par with Del-Ton and DPMS, not better.
Go resell one - the subjective "better" becomes pretty objective pretty quick...
Old 08-08-2015, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I'm not as "up on" AR's as Mercy (little doubt that many are really, dang kid is a genius with them) from a business standpoint on assessing value to a product, DPMS and Bushmaster would hold a higher value since they make their own parts while Del-Ton is merely an assembly plant. Also, in my own lightly educated opinion, DPMS and Bushmaster both have a finer finishing than the Del-Tons I looked at when getting my first AR. And I looked at, shouldered, test fired, and went over quite a few different brands from Del-Ton, DPMS, Bushmaster, LaRue, Novesky, Daniel Defense, just to name a few that I tried out.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Go resell one - the subjective "better" becomes pretty objective pretty quick...
Not hardly. In today's used AR market, the imaginary lines between DPMS, Del-Ton, Bushmaster, Windham, and dozens of other "bottom tier" AR manufacturers are totally blurred. There is nothing objective or empirical about this so-called "fit and finish" factor you guys keep touting that make any of the other manufacturers "better" than Del-Ton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.