Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Del-Ton AR-15 >

Del-Ton AR-15

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Del-Ton AR-15

Old 08-09-2015, 02:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
While I'm not as "up on" AR's as Mercy (little doubt that many are really, dang kid is a genius with them) from a business standpoint on assessing value to a product, DPMS and Bushmaster would hold a higher value since they make their own parts while Del-Ton is merely an assembly plant. Also, in my own lightly educated opinion, DPMS and Bushmaster both have a finer finishing than the Del-Tons I looked at when getting my first AR. And I looked at, shouldered, test fired, and went over quite a few different brands from Del-Ton, DPMS, Bushmaster, LaRue, Novesky, Daniel Defense, just to name a few that I tried out.
Obviously, you aren't "up on" ARs, otherwise you'd know Del-Ton isn't just an assembly plant. They turn their own barrels and finish out their own uppers and lowers, using the same manufacturing processes that most everyone else uses. Not to mention, there's a lot of manufacturers that outsource their internal parts - not just Del-Ton. Not sure where this "fit and finish" factor comes from, because I've seen DPMS, Bushmasters, and others that are less than perfect, as well.

I wouldn't buy a Bushy. Its not because they don't work or because of some imaginary "fit and finish" hogwash. (If I was gonna go the "fit and finish" route, I'd be pushing a RRA, anyway.) Its because Bushmaster's offerings are about as exciting as stale airline peanuts in a marketplace where you can get way more than Baskin Robins 31 flavors. Unfortunately, Del-Ton and PSA end up getting the short end of the brand-bashing stick from the internet know-it-alls, but at least they give you the option to build your rifle the way you want it, and offer some complete rifles that aren't totally boring.

If you guys really want to do the brand snob thing, you need to get with the times. Back before the Clinton AWB, Armalite, Bushy, and Colt night have been the hot ticket brands, but things have changed since then. Colt (at least until they went belly up) Noveske, Daniel Defense, and BCM are all the "Tier 1" manufacturers nowadays. If you'd hang out over at the m4carbine forums for a bit, you'd know if its not one of those brands, its walmart-grade garbage anyway.

However, back to the OP - he was looking for a budget rifle that just plain works, and Del-Ton fits that description.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

outside of OLY, AR's are all parts house guns, they all buy all or some of their gun parts from a pool of vendors and just build in house. they buy from whomever gives them the accepted quality, at the cheapest price.
even Les Baer sells parts house guns, he just uses the best parts to be had.
RR
Old 08-09-2015, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
outside of OLY, AR's are all parts house guns, they all buy all or some of their gun parts from a pool of vendors and just build in house. they buy from whomever gives them the accepted quality, at the cheapest price.
even Les Baer sells parts house guns, he just uses the best parts to be had.
RR
OLY might make more of their own parts than others, but QC is hit or miss, and reviews on OLY guns are widely mixed.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oly makes all their parts, barrels included, I have oly's, RRA, Tromix, and J&T AR's, the customs and those tuned by smiths who excel at them run a bit better, but they are all about the same.
RR
Old 08-09-2015, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Oly makes all their parts, barrels included, I have oly's, RRA, Tromix, and J&T AR's, the customs and those tuned by smiths who excel at them run a bit better, but they are all about the same.
RR
Nobody makes ALL of their own parts. It's just not economical. Springs and pins are the most commonly outsourced parts, followed by some of the small internal stuff. Just because some manufacturers make more of their own parts, doesn't mean they're automatically better.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of OLYs, so I'm going off of what I've heard. Lots of guys have them and say they run ok, but there's still a fair number of them that have had failures - at least enough to take notice.

I just think the brand bashing is funny, when it comes to ARs, because so many of them share parts from common subcontractors. The only difference most people can find is an imaginary "fit and finish" factor.

Last edited by cjclemens; 08-09-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

my AR smith, 1 of them anyways, is the only authorized oly repair shop other than oly themselves, he is the only authorized smith building oly AR's in the wssm chamberings using oly parts, he assured me oly manufactures every part of their rifles, down to the detent balls. he also builds one helluva rifle.
RR
Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

my AR smith, 1 of them anyways, is the only authorized oly repair shop other than oly themselves, he is the only authorized smith building oly AR's in the wssm chamberings using oly parts, he assured me oly manufactures every part of their rifles, down to the detent balls. he also builds one helluva rifle.
RR
Is that Dtech out of Bemidji, MN?
Old 08-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am NOT a AR's expert, but I have done a fair amount of research on the subject.

I am a big fan of Bravo Company and I hear similar accolades about Troy.

https://troyind.com/about-us

These are not entry level AR companies, however great places to look at when upgrading your AR.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a bit of logic - if I turned my own barrels, would the rifles I assemble from parts be worth more or less than if I continued to use the Shilen or Black Hole barrels that I currently use?

Making something yourself is only worth something if you're better at it than the guy you used to buy it from.

You live in a select market area if Del-Ton's hold value better than the Cerberus brand rifles where you live. I travel all over the US, I've yet to see that in the used market.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cjclemens
Is that Dtech out of Bemidji, MN?
that would be him, Mike Milli, the last rifle he built me, was back when AR's were not to be found, I called him told him what I wanted, he told me he had the parts, from the final ok, it was 4 days before the rifle was in my hands.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.