Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Del-Ton AR-15 >

Del-Ton AR-15

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Del-Ton AR-15

Old 08-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even using marked turrets can be off in those instances. If you don't have the math skills to compensate quickly for altitude, temperature, and air density (humidity) then shooting past 400 yards with most any rifle is ,pardon the pun, a shot in the dark.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Even using marked turrets can be off in those instances. If you don't have the math skills to compensate quickly for altitude, temperature, and air density (humidity) then shooting past 400 yards with most any rifle is ,pardon the pun, a shot in the dark.
Hence my adoption of the practice to re-run the ballistic table, then go test fire at range to confirm my come-ups whenever I have a significant environmental change - temp and density altitude gotta be accounted for.

Keep the DOPE (Data On Previous Engagement), then next time I'm in the same situation, or if I have cross-layering changes, I can rely on my books to get me on target.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
LMAO, try taking a skunk out with a bow d80.
While living on the edge of town, I had several instances where skunks frequented out culdesac. We didn't have many "outdoorsy types" around there, but I was kinda known as "the guy on the block that takes care of things," whether it was flat tires, snowy driveways, or intrusive vermin.

Live traps (let alone poison) didn't work well on our block because too many of the neighbors let their small dogs out off of the leash, and nobody likes having their lap dog caught in a box trap.

I killed a bunch of skunks with my bows in the neighborhood. Not all of them sprayed when hit with a Rage 2 blade, but for those that did, I'd just come back the next day for my arrow. Nobody on the block really loved the idea, but apparently they loved the idea of the skunks even less, because I had a lot of texts, phone calls, and knocks on my door late at night from neighbors letting me know when they spotted one.