Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best 7mm mag and scope to buy >

Best 7mm mag and scope to buy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best 7mm mag and scope to buy

Old 04-02-2014, 04:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by oregonhunting
If any of you guys have time could you look at this website and choose the best 7mm magnum and scope. . explain why you think its the best... whatever you guys choose Im probably going to go with that.
You have got to be kidding me!!!

You want me or one of these other guys to look at a website and determine which rifle is the best for you? Why don't we also go on a dating site and choose your wife for you while we're at it.

It is impossible for someone to choose a good rifle for someone else. We don't know how long your arms are. We don't know how heavy a rifle you like. We don't know if you prefer a wood stock or a composite stock. We don't know if you like the trigger. We don't know if you like the balance. We don't know if the stock fits you well. Those and a lot more go into choosing a rifle you're serious about using.

Now, if you want to buy a rifle, get off your butt and go down to the gun shop and get serious about buying a rifle because you sure ain't gonna get it done right behind the keyboard on this or any other forum! Others have already told you what they use, why they use it and if it works for them. You are the one that must choose the rifle, learn to shoot it and go hunting with it. Not us.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Get off your but, go down to the shop and decide for yourself.
+1

You'd probably get a more definitive answer for us if you'd asked "which is best - Ford or Chevy." The 7mm RM is a solid choice. If weather is a concern, you probably need to look at something in stainless steel and with a composite stock.

Optics should reflect the terrain you're hunting (plains and sagebrush dictate longer shots and higher magnification than brush and deep woods do).

But ultimately, this is your decision. Your rifle.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Hey guys, I'm looking for a girlfriend.
What type of woman should I choose?

LOL
Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle

I disagree. It is easy to get a very good scope for $400. The top end scopes are better, but not that much that it would make a real difference to the average guy. A good solid clear scope with a great warranty can easily be had in the OP's original budget.

It is fashionable on the internet to advise guys to buy "alpha" scopes such as Swarovski. top end Zeiss (not the entry-level Zeiss), S&B, etc., but I don't think many practice what they preach. I'd bet that most who give that advice have a very good Burris, very good Nikon, very good Leupold, etc. on their own rifles.

A $1,000 scope on a $400 rifle is does not make any sense to me. If you want to spend extra, spend it on a big pile of practice ammo.
Yes, I agree. Think about the distance to your target. What is the expected, normal range. Black bear, elk, deerr - probly rather close - less than 200 yards may be. Toip end scopes apeal and are appropriate for longer range shooying; so I agree with with 2-7x,
3-9x and 40 mm.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Spike

Get off your but, go down to the shop and decide for yourself. We are not going to be shooting this gun, you might be.
No need to make negative remarks on assumptions...
I have gone to all the local shops, and like I said, they did not have any 7mm magnums in stock (other then one used one) As I stated I am going to order one online and want to make the best decision I can from having to make a blind decision .. and also, like I said, I am new to hunting and have very little knowledge of rifles. Your input was worthless to me and not what I asked for...
Old 04-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
You have got to be kidding me!!!

You want me or one of these other guys to look at a website and determine which rifle is the best for you? Why don't we also go on a dating site and choose your wife for you while we're at it.

It is impossible for someone to choose a good rifle for someone else. We don't know how long your arms are. We don't know how heavy a rifle you like. We don't know if you prefer a wood stock or a composite stock. We don't know if you like the trigger. We don't know if you like the balance. We don't know if the stock fits you well. Those and a lot more go into choosing a rifle you're serious about using.

Now, if you want to buy a rifle, get off your butt and go down to the gun shop and get serious about buying a rifle because you sure ain't gonna get it done right behind the keyboard on this or any other forum! Others have already told you what they use, why they use it and if it works for them. You are the one that must choose the rifle, learn to shoot it and go hunting with it. Not us.

No need to make negative remarks on assumptions...
I have gone to all the local shops, and like I said, they did not have any 7mm magnums in stock (other then one used one) As I stated I am going to order one online and want to make the best decision I can from having to make a blind decision .. and also, like I said, I am new to hunting and have very little knowledge of rifles. Your input was worthless to me and not what I asked for...
Old 04-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

DO NOT, order one online. We have made several recomendations. The only next piece of advice we can give, is again. DO NOT buy online. GO in person.
Have one ordered at a shop, that you can return it to, if it doesn't fit.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

DO NOT, order one online. We have made several recomendations. The only next piece of advice we can give, is again. DO NOT buy online. GO in person.
Have one ordered at a shop, that you can return it to, if it doesn't fit.
"Fit" doesn't care what chambering the rifle comes in. If your local dealer doesn't have 7mm RM but does have .300 WM, the "fit" is going to be the same.

I've had to go online to auctions to find a number of specific firearms I was looking for and have yet to experience a problem. I don't "order online" per se, however.

The other option here is to ditch the 7mm RM. It's nice, but it's not the only pretty girl at the dance.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by oregonhunting
Your input was worthless to me and not what I asked for...
If you think my input was worthless, then you're not only inexperienced, you're foolish as well. I suggest you go back and actually read what I and others have said.

Note, we said go to the dealer and handle as many different types of rifles to see what you like. Here's a newsflash: They don't have to be in 7mm to see if you like the way the make of rifle is designed and how it fits you. Different brands have different triggers, safeties, balance etc... and the only way to know if you like them is to actually pick them up. We have said to decide if you want wood or synthetic. We offered advice that better optics make you a better shot. Some noted that you would be better served to spend less on the gun and more on the practice ammo.

I personally related my experience with the Rem M700 in 7mm and how it has taken over 300 head of big game. Guess that much actual field experience is worthless to you too. How many elk have you shot? I've shot 25 and have been in on the taking of over 100 others. But I guess that is worthless to you too isn't it?

Now, listen very carefully: NOBODY CAN OR SHOULD CHOOSE THE RIFLE FOR YOU. THAT IS AN INDIVIDUAL CHOICE BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS AND PEOPLE ARE BUILT DIFFERENTLY. Many here offered very good advice to you based on decades of hunting experience, but like most youngsters, you really don't want advice you merely want someone else to make the decision for you. Well, I'm not going to do that and I seriously doubt anyone else will either. Get your butt to the gunshop and make your own decision if you want to get a rifle you will enjoy using. What could be simpler?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

Order a Remington Sendero and a decent scope start with Leupold and your golden for the rest of your hunting career or most peoples hunting career.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.