Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best 7mm mag and scope to buy >

Best 7mm mag and scope to buy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best 7mm mag and scope to buy

Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
"Fit" doesn't care what chambering the rifle comes in. If your local dealer doesn't have 7mm RM but does have .300 WM, the "fit" is going to be the same.

I've had to go online to auctions to find a number of specific firearms I was looking for and have yet to experience a problem. I don't "order online" per se, however.

The other option here is to ditch the 7mm RM. It's nice, but it's not the only pretty girl at the dance.
I have to differ with you on "fit".
I owned a .308 and a .30-06 both in Ruger M77 Mark II, neither fit me as well as the 7mm (also a Ruger M77 Mark II) I have now. I don't know what it was, but he Mag "fits" better than either of the other two.

Nothing can compensate for handling a gun, when it comes time to buy (IMO).
Old 04-04-2014, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
I owned a .308 and a .30-06 both in Ruger M77 Mark II, neither fit me as well as the 7mm (also a Ruger M77 Mark II) I have now.
Considering that dimensionally, the .308 is built on the short-action version of the 77MkII, I wouldn't begin to expect it to "fit" the same as the long-action version. I don't believe Ruger used the magnum-length action in your 7mm, but rather the standard-length action. What you're probably "feeling" as "different" is the barrel length, which affects balance. Most .30-06s come with 22" barrels, while 7mms typically come with a 24" or 26".

However, I wasn't talking about comparing a 77 Mk II in .308 to a 77 Mk II in 7mm RM. The OP here says he can't find any 7mms. That leaves him with the following possible solutions:

1. Ditch the 7mm and get something else that IS available,

2. Compare side-by-side for "fit" in a similar-length action and barrel. For instance, 7mms are typically built on the same action .300 Win Mags are. .300 Win Mags typically mount the same barrel length as well. If you look at the 700 CDL, the dimensions are the same between a 7mm RM and .300 Win. Action length, barrel length. The only difference is the overall length, one is 46.5", the other is 46-1/2" No, I'm not talking about comparing it with a short-action or non-belted-magnum stand-in,

3. Go to the gun dealer and request that he order in all of the examples of the 7mms you wish to compare. Now, if he expects he can move the inventory, he might do just that. In that case our OP just needs to wait. How long? However long it takes for all of them to come in, of course. But, there's also a distinct possibility that he'll laugh and simply endeavor to find a different customer than our OP,

or he can

4. Give up because he can't find a 7mm RM and can't figure any other way around the problem.

I'm not saying you're wrong - handling them all at the same dealer is certainly my preference as well. But that's not always possible. Where there's a will, there's usually also a way.

And, IMO, "fit" and "balance" are different. I typically find that the "fit" of most manufacturers' rifles is just fine for me. It's the "balance" that I'll either like or not like.

Last edited by homers brother; 04-04-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure, but the length of pull is the same, generally speaking. That is, the length of the stock from the receiver to the butt. This was about the same on all three, as I owned them (all) at the same time. The 7mm just seemed to fit better.
Though I also think you and I are coming at this from slightly different angles, we will get the same results. A quality rifle, that the OP can shoot effectively.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

Don't discard the tikka. the action on it and trigger are extremely smooth. I'm partial to Leopold scopes, I would go with a vx3 4.5 x 12 x 50. For your budget, you'll be able to get this set up in stainless steel with scope, rings and a case...

Good luck
Old 04-06-2014, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Maq Attaq
I'm partial to Leopold scopes, I would go with a vx3 4.5 x 12 x 50.
Keep in mind as you consider optics with large objectives that your mounts will have to be taller. Unless your rifle stock has an adjustable comb, taller rings can become an issue with a consistent cheek weld from shot-to-shot, in turn affecting accuracy.

I tend to prefer nothing larger than 40mm on my big-game rifles. Even those tend to require medium-height rings.

As well, those big objectives tend to bring a few more ounces of weight. As well as affecting ease of carry, those extra ounces can further affect the balance of the rifle.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another great thread. The need to talk down to, try and humiliate and be condescending know it all's, has been filled again. Good job you guys!! Maybe we accomplished running off another new guy with his first thread! We should all be proud!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Another great thread. The need to talk down to, try and humiliate and be condescending know it all's, has been filled again. Good job you guys!! Maybe we accomplished running off another new guy with his first thread! We should all be proud!
Luckydog makes a good point here.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Potentially.

But lets look at the posts he made.

He started out asking about a rifle and scope combo. Nothing new about that. We answered his questions.

Until he started posting about ONE SPECIFIC internet site.
That I never saw linking a specific gun on. Just a link to the general site.
He also wanted us to tell him about what we thought we would get. We already told them what we had or what we would buy.

He also indicated that he would just buy it online. Barring any chance to handle the gun, before purchase. Or return it, if it doesn't fit quite right.

No, luckydog. I think this was an advertiser for the site. The posts just weren't adding up.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Oregonhunting,

Your looking for your first rifle and you want the 'best'!

I got my first centerfire in 1953 and it was an entry level push feed Rem. 722.

After working and learning machines in my late dad's tool and die shop I learned that the M70 made then was superior to what I had in every way. Thus I bought a new one in 1957. I still have it!

Look at better designs such as the Ruger M77's, Kimber M84 and M8400's, M70's with CRF etc.

Last edited by Savage_99; 04-07-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
No, luckydog. I think this was an advertiser for the site. The posts just weren't adding up.
If that is what someone thought, then they should have called him out on it. Plain and simple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.