Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buyin a rifle in ks with indiana id >

Buyin a rifle in ks with indiana id

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buyin a rifle in ks with indiana id

Old 07-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Buyin a rifle in ks with indiana id

Im prob huntin here in kansas and either way prob buyin my rem 700 before we go to ky. So im not planning to change my id and residency till ik were stayon here or huntin season rolls around. So can i buy a long gun in kansas with my indiana id
Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, you can't. Long guns can only be hand-carry purchased by residents of any state, or their contiguous bordering states. I.e. for KS, only Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Missouri residents can legally hand-carry purchase firearms.

If you so choose, you can pay for the weapon, and have it transferred from the local KS shop to a local shop in Indiana, where you will fill out the 4473.

Ultimately, no, you cannot walk into a store in KS, as a legal Indiana resident, and purchase a long gun.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thered be no point in that as then id have to make the 800 mile trip to indiana to get it. Be better of just to buy in indiana. Im goin back this week to visit my sis im open i can just buy it while im there
Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's some other options if you can't get the Rem 700 like you plan:

You can buy a muzzleloader in Kansas. They aren't subject to the same restrictions and I understand can be pretty much purchased anywhere. They can be used legally in Kansas' regular firearms and antlerless season as well as the early muzzleloader season.

Another possibility is to buy a bow. Verify the hunting regulations, but I understand you can use them in firearms seasons, too. (blaze orange mandatory for everyone in gun season, btw). Crossbows have recently been legalized, but you'd want to check on what seasons they are legal. I'm not sure myself.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
No, you can't. Long guns can only be hand-carry purchased by residents of any state, or their contiguous bordering states. I.e. for KS, only Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Missouri residents can legally hand-carry purchase firearms.

If you so choose, you can pay for the weapon, and have it transferred from the local KS shop to a local shop in Indiana, where you will fill out the 4473.

Ultimately, no, you cannot walk into a store in KS, as a legal Indiana resident, and purchase a long gun.

***That information is incorrect in regards to the purchase of rifles and shotguns. Three years ago I saw a good deal on a Ruger Red Label O/U at Scheels in Iowa when on my way back from a hunt in Wyoming. My friend back here in MI was looking for one with a straight English style stock (no pistol grip)and they didn't have it at their Des Moines store when I stopped there. They called ahead to the Iowa City store that had one and they held it for a couple hours for me. I went in and showed my MI Drivers License for ID, they put me through the system and I came back good to go in less than five minutes. I paid for it on a CC and brought it back here, gave it to my buddy, and he wrote me a check for it! I just looked it up and it is still legal to this day to make a purchase like that in another state as long as the proper paperwork is filled out, the state laws where it's done allow it, and you pass the background check. Kansas may have a law not allowing it, but most do and you'll just need to check with the FFL dealer where you want to buy the rifle to see if they can do what you want. This is right out of the current Regs:

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-29-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***That information is incorrect in regards to the purchase of rifles and shotguns. Three years ago I saw a good deal on a Ruger Red Label O/U at Scheels in Iowa when on my way back from a hunt in Wyoming. My friend back here in MI was looking for one with a straight English style stock (no pistol grip)and they didn't have it at their Des Moines store when I stopped there. They called ahead to the Iowa City store that had one and they held it for a couple hours for me. I went in and showed my MI Drivers License for ID, they put me through the system and I came back good to go in less than five minutes. I paid for it on a CC and brought it back here, gave it to my buddy, and he wrote me a check for it! I just looked it up and it is still legal to this day to make a purchase like that in another state as long as the proper paperwork is filled out and you pass the background check. This is right out of the current Regs:

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]
Doesn't matter to me... He's not a Michigan resident, nor talking about a purchase in Iowa. He's an Indiana resident talking about a purchase in the state of Kansas, both of which states have tighter regs (like most states) than the Fed...

That line that says "complies with the state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides" is a very powerful statement, not to be overlooked.

Both KS and IN have laws about purchase and transfer of firearms across state lines (as most states do). These requirements for both states control that you can hand carry purchase from contiguous states only, all others must be transferred to a proper FFL within your home state of residence.

The state of KS only allows it's residents to purchase firearms in contiguous states, and in turn, the same law carries a ryder that only residents of those states are allowed to legally purchase in the state of KS. There has been some movement in recent years that would open up rights for KS RESIDENTS to purchase in states that have the same minimum requirements as KS, but it has not successfully been implemented yet, AND reciprocity for purchase in the state of KS has not been attached to the bill that I have seen yet. (i.e. if the bill passes, I might be able to buy in IN someday soon, but there's no bill on the table allowing IN to buy in KS yet). Ultimately, regardless of what the Fed says, the state of KS won't let him buy it here.

And he's from Indiana. Indiana's laws ALSO only allow for purchase from contiguous states, which KS is NOT. Kansas also doesn't have a system for handling FOIL cards, so if you're talking about the purchase of certain firearms, even if you dupe a KS shop to sell it to you, you will not have the proper documentation once you got back to your home state according to your purchasing 'rights'.

I won't comment as to whether you actually legally purchased that firearm at Scheels or not. For what it's worth, I was working in Nebraska all year this year, staying in Sioux City IA, tried to buy a rifle at Scheels there, which I didn't realize was actually on the Iowa side until the clerk refused the sale because I am a KS resident, which isn't contiguous to Iowa. Had the store been 1mi further west on the Nebraska side of the river, I could have purchased it legally.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 07-29-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I said in my post in two sentences below what you just took a page to write, LOL!!!:

"I just looked it up and it is still legal to this day to make a purchase like that in another state as long as the proper paperwork is filled out, the state laws where it's done allow it, and you pass the background check. Kansas may have a law not allowing it, but most do and you'll just need to check with the FFL dealer where you want to buy the rifle to see if they can do what you want."

PS: I also consider your following sentence "I won't comment as to whether you actually legally purchased that firearm at Scheels or not." more than just a little accusatory and bordering on calling me a liar because I did exactly as stated, passed the check through the system, and with addresses right on the forms for buyer and seller that went in how do you figure that it may not have been a legal purchase?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-29-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
PS: I also consider your following sentence "I won't comment as to whether you actually legally purchased that firearm at Scheels or not." more than just a little accusatory and bordering on calling me a liar because I did exactly as stated, passed the check through the system, and with addresses right on the forms for buyer and seller that went in how do you figure that it may not have been a legal purchase?
Not trying to be accusatory or call you a liar at all. More trying to point out that the idiots that often work at Scheels or other big box stores aren't immune to making mistakes. The background check isn't a confirmation of legal sale, it's honestly just a confirmation that you don't have anything that would prevent you from owning the gun (convictions, mental incapacitation, restraining orders, etc). It is the responsibility of the store to ensure that the sale itself is legal. Maybe that stems from the fact that the NCIS check is a federal bureau and not liable for state laws (i.e. the US law you cited), or maybe they just don't assume the liability for assuring legal sale and just focus on legal ownership, either way, it is NOT governing of the entire sale.

If it WASN'T a legal sale, which I honestly don't believe it was, the liability SHOULD fall on the Scheels for conducting an illegal sale and you should be held harmless, but unfortunately, the way the laws are written, you'd still be at risk for making an illegal purchase. Yes, that's BS, because they shouldn't sell it to you, and it shouldn't necessarily be YOUR responsibility to know the laws of every state, but that's just not how the laws are written.

I held an FFL for a few years, and frankly, it's a damned dangerous game selling firearms out of state. A good friend of mine just got himself in trouble 2 yrs ago for selling hand-carry AR-15 receivers to another friend of ours that wasn't a contiguous state. That's part of why I finally gave mine up. Then don't even get started on person to person hand carry purchases!

Last edited by Nomercy448; 07-29-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nomercy448---Thanks for that explanation, as it makes me feel a lot better. I was obviously very surprised at your comment and took it the wrong way! I hope there's a three year statute that has run out if they screwed up, LOL! However, with phone calls being made between the stores and with several of their staff knowing that I was from MI and just driving through, I would hope it was a legal sale!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im goin back to indiana end of the week if i dont get it there prob change my residency. Idk what u mean by foil card but ik i can buy and own a firearm in indiana with out telling indiana they have no registration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.