Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying first rifle >

Buying first rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying first rifle

Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

cant go wrong with the 06,thats a given,did u look at the x bolt?u might spend afew more then expected,fer glass n rifle but i dont think u will be disappointed,i have the x with a nikon buckmaster on it its SWEET
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by NWGius
Hi all,

So I'm still in search of rifle. I've been focusing on Rem 700s, older models, however the market is pretty dry.

I came across an interarms Mark x, circa 1980s, in .30 06 in great condition, they are asking $450 and it comes with a cheapy scope (which I would replace).

Any knowledge on these guns? I haven't heard of this brand until now.

Thanks,
I have two interarms Mark X rifles that I bought in the late '70s. One in .22-250 and the other is a .257 Ackley. Both have served me very well. I have probably killed more North American big game animals with the .257 AI than all of my other rifles put together. Everything from varmints to deer, antelope, bighorn and dall sheep, to elk. I've had a 6x Leupold on it since day one.

You also asked about the Rem 700 ADL. My first 7 mm Rem mag was a 700 ADL that I found in a pawn shop. It came with a 3-9x Weaver. It worked fine for me on my first South African plains game hunt and a Muskox and caribou hunt in the Canadian arctic.

I traded it (at the pawn shop) for another 7 mm RM in a Rem 700 BDL because the BDL was stainless steel, I like the floorplate, and the BDL barrel was clean without iron sights. I've also used this rifle in Africa and for antelope and elk in Montana. I recently put a Nikon 4-12x Prostaff scope with their BDC reticle on it.