Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying first rifle >

Buying first rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying first rifle

Old 03-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
Well here in Arizona we don't normally have this problem...but I believe it has to do with moisture (IE: rain, snow) causing the wood to expand, coming into contact with the barrel and moving it out of zero. I think that is the issue anyway. I have the opposite problem of trying to keep the wood from drying out!
Is this something that can be avoided and is it only relevent when extremely humid? I'm in the Northwest so it doesn't often get very humid here.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by buffybr
You didn't state what or where you will be hunting. IMO the old .30-06 is still a great cartridge. It was my first cartridge many, many years ago.

You don't have to break the bank on your first rifle and scope. Anything that you get can be modified, upgraded, or replaced if you need to at a later date. You could easily get a lifetime of hunting enjoyment from that Rem 700 .30-06 and Leupold 2-7x. Check that the bore is clean and in good shape, work the bolt, safety and trigger, and make sure that the scope is clear and doesn't have any dings on the tube.
I'm in Oregon now and will be hunting Elk & Deer (both Mule & Coastal Black Tail).

Regarding the Rem 700, all seemed good, the gun was in great condition with a clean barrel. The scope was dusty but no dings that I can remember. The safety seems stiff, but could have just been how they're made. Regarding buying a gun that would be modded in the future, what component do you look for that will be the lasting component? The barrel?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by NWGius
Regarding buying a gun that would be modded in the future, what component do you look for that will be the lasting component? The barrel?
Gunsmiths often change barrels, but I wouldn't recommend buying a first rifle with a bad barrel thinking you will change barrels some time in the future.

The action is the basis for all guns. Everything else can be changed. Even the government knows that, so that's where the serial number is stamped. Custom gunsmiths will ofter buy used rifles just for the actions, and built a custom rifle up from the action.

Some mods are simple and you can do them yourself, others are best left to a competent gunsmith.

Most rifles don't see any more changes than scopes and maybe recoil pads. Other changes are only limited by your imagination and your bank account.

Last edited by buffybr; 03-07-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

First - most rifles will out shoot their owners.

Second - spend as much on the scope as you do on the rifle (if used, research it).

Order of importance;
scope & mounting
barrel
trigger

Sure bedding & lapping will help, but let's understand there is a difference between "relative" accuracy for a hunter VS bench rest shooters !

I thought the OP was talking about their FIRST rifle ........................

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-07-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

I believe there are some very nice Zeiss scopes being clearanced right now -- discontinued line or something.

As for rifles, I like my Savage 11, but if you haven't found what feels good, keep trying things. Haven't seen anybody mention Winchester or Tikka. See how they feel.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
First - most rifles will out shoot their owners.

Sure bedding & lapping will help, but let's understand there is a difference between "relative" accuracy for a hunter VS bench rest shooters !

I thought the OP was talking about their FIRST rifle ........................
I agree, though this won't necessarily be my first rifle, it is the first that I will have purchased. Regardless, I'm sure most rifles would out shoot my aiming ability in the field. And that's what the rifle is for, not range shooting.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Murdy
I believe there are some very nice Zeiss scopes being clearanced right now -- discontinued line or something.

As for rifles, I like my Savage 11, but if you haven't found what feels good, keep trying things. Haven't seen anybody mention Winchester or Tikka. See how they feel.
I have checked out the T3 and it fits me well and I like the weight. But not big on the plastic parts.

Does anyone have input comparing older models of Winchester 70 vs Remington 700?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Spike

Default Interarms Mark X

Hi all,

So I'm still in search of rifle. I've been focusing on Rem 700s, older models, however the market is pretty dry.

I came across an interarms Mark x, circa 1980s, in .30 06 in great condition, they are asking $450 and it comes with a cheapy scope (which I would replace).

Any knowledge on these guns? I haven't heard of this brand until now.

Thanks,
Old 03-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep looking!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Spike

All right, further questions regarding the 700, came across an ADL from the late 70's in excellent condition, barely looks used. It has an older (i'd imagine the same age) 4x leupold. It's near impossible to find a 700 BDL .30 06 in this area (without going broke).

What's would be a good price for this gun & gun/scope together? And is the ADL a good version of the 700? I understand it has no floor plate, no jeweled bolt and no but plate. Anything I am missing?

Thanks,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.