Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Weatherby Vanguard 2 : 338 win mag vs 300 win mag >

Weatherby Vanguard 2 : 338 win mag vs 300 win mag

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Vanguard 2 : 338 win mag vs 300 win mag

Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Spike

Default Weatherby Vanguard 2 : 338 win mag vs 300 win mag

Hi,
I am going to buy my first rifle ever and I am pretty new to this (guns, hunting etc) but since I now live in the Yukon I figured it was the time to start what I wanted to do for years.
Anyway, so I know I want to buy the Weatherby Vanguard and I thought I knew I wanted a .300 win mag. But then today, the firearm officer (I got my licence today) suggested I should go for the .338 and I guess he knows what he is talking about, so now I am confused again.
So I was wondering if you guys could help me.
Considering
Recoil
Price of ammunition
killing power (I want an all north america games gun including bisons)
Distance
Accuracy
And versatility in terms of games (lets says from sheep to bison)
What caliber would you choose?
Since I am knew to this, recoil is my biggest concern as it might be unpleasant and affect my accuracy right?
Thanks you very much
JSC

Last edited by jenseb99; 11-15-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Fork Horn

Starting with a heavy recoiling rifle for your very first is going to be tough for me to recommend. Look at the shelves of the local stores and see which caliber is most available and what brands and bullet weights they come in. They are both good calibers. Maybe you could find someone who has both rifles and would let you shoot them so you could decide which one you could shoot.
They both will have recoil but it's not so bad that you couldn't handle it. Also get a good scope that has lots of eye relief so you don't get hit by the scope and develop a serious flinch or fear of the rifle. I have known several people who have done this and are afraid of their rifles because of it.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

I say neither of the calibers listed, since this is your first rifle. I strongly encourage you to consider a 30'06, or 308 first. For a first time shooter, even those may startle you until you are used to how a rifle recoils. The 300winmag, though not a violent kicker, is very noticeable to even experienced shooters. My wife shoots one, however, she cut her teeth on an '06, and my 7mm mag first. The 338winmag, is a definite step up in recoil, and not for the inexperienced. Pain and severe flinching will develop, making shooting it accurately impossible. With practice and patience, one can work their way up to something that big, but its not a gun you just grab and go for the first time. I'm not bashing magnums by any means mind you, most of my rifles are magnums, but I was once in your shoes, and made the smart move in starting small and going up.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by streetglideok
I say neither of the calibers listed, since this is your first rifle. I strongly encourage you to consider a 30'06, or 308 first.
That is what I've thought in the beginning (that's why I am talking about confusion).
Actually, I think that if I was in a region of dears, I would even go for a good old 30-30 lever action to start.
But since the first animal that I might go hunting might very well be a Bison, I changed my mind.
In the Yukon the 30-06 is the legal minimum to hunt bisons, but everybody I've ask said that they would not hunt a bison under a 300 mag. So that is why I turned towards magnums.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

how about a 7mm rem mag? or 300wsm?

or 300wby? instead of the 300win/338win

shoot a bison in the head with a 270win and it'll drop like a rock, many people in WY use 30-30, .270, etc...

.30-06 would be fine for a bison I would think.

can always buy a bigger rifle down the road too...
Old 11-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

300wby would be a more costly, and harder kicking beast.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Recoil=300winmag is a step up from the '06. 338 is a definite step up from the 300. 300weatherby is even stouter then 300win, and in the ballpark of 338. 300wsm would be a little less than 300winmag, and with some patience could work for a newbie. 7mm rem mag is a tad sharper in recoil then the '06 but good for all NA game, though not as good on the really big stuff

Price of ammunition=300winmag, 300wsm, 7mm mag will all be close in price, and availability. 30'06 will be a tad cheaper, and anyone who sells ammo has it. 338winmag will be higher, and anything weatherby willl be higher yet.

killing power (I want an all north america games gun including bisons)=338winmag wins the kill factor here. The 300 mags are all pretty close in killing power.

Distance=This is more related to your shooting ability then the gun's limit

Accuracy= With newer guns, this is more dictated by you, and flinching than the gun. All will shoot good.

What caliber would you choose?= All will work on all the game, though the 338 is better on big stuff, the 300s are pretty well rounded.

Since I am knew to this, recoil is my biggest concern as it might be unpleasant and affect my accuracy right
Old 11-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

I will agree that the 30-06 would be a better choice for starting out. You could use lighter bullets for less recoil on the smaller game and then use the heavier bullets for the larger animals. Maybe a 35 Whelen? Of course that is more of a reloader's cartridge now. Would certainly work. So would a 338-06
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Spike

Thank you very much I'll give it a thought and take my decision shortly.
cheers
Old 11-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Considering
Recoil
Price of ammunition
killing power (I want an all north america games gun including bisons)
Distance
Accuracy
What caliber would you choose?
Since I am knew to this, recoil is my biggest concern as it might be unpleasant and affect my accuracy right?" 99

.270 Win.