Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning A-Bolt Trigger Adjustment >

Browning A-Bolt Trigger Adjustment

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning A-Bolt Trigger Adjustment

Old 08-20-2003, 09:11 PM

Default Browning A-Bolt Trigger Adjustment

I have a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker that I use for whitetail hunting and it is a great rifle. I only wish the trigger was a little lighter and smoother. I know it is somewhat adjustable from the factory but I have it set as light as it will go and it is still too heavy for my liking. I do all my shooting from treestands with a good rest and have the possibility of up to 400 yard shots so a smooth and somewhat light trigger is an advantage. My deer last fall was taken at 300 yds. with this gun but a better trigger would sure be nice! Anyone ever have a trigger job done to an A-Bolt and if so, did it improve it enough to justify the cost?
Old 08-20-2003, 11:24 PM

Default RE: Browning A-Bolt Trigger Adjustment

Hi I recently bought a Browning A-Bolt in 270WSM and I also adjusted the trigger as much as I could and would still like to make it a little lighter also. I had been using a A-Bolt in 270Win. the last six years and after adjusting the trigger it seems lighter than my new gun.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:15 AM

Maybe i' m wierd but i thought the trigger on the a-bolt that I just got was very clean. I like it a lot. First time shooting it I didn' t have any problems snapping the trigger or flinching. My groups at 100 yards were no more than 1" and for me, thats pretty good. I' m shooting a 7mm-08 and the first 2 shots I took with it went in overlapping wholes on the target and the second one was about a 1/4 " away from the first 2. As far as adjusting the trigger goes, if you want anything done beyond what you can do by adjusting the allen screw behind the trigger guard, your' e prolly gonna have to go to a gunsmith.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:49 AM

I' ve had a few Brownings and while I prefer a 2.5 - 3 lb trigger, I didn' t find their' s objectionable. I did try to get a ' smith to polish it up and he refused to do so. And, to his and my knowledge, no one makes an aftermarket trigger for them.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes Moyers makes a replacment trigger for the Abolt but if the gunsmith your dealing with doesn' t know how to adjust theone on it now...look for a good gunsmith.. My gunsmith spent a grand total of 15 minutes to fix the trigger...there is a safety" feature" on the abolt which makes you waste your time lightening the pull as per owners manual. He simply removed the feature and brought it safely down to 2 1/2 lbs and it could have gone farther.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:40 PM

Yeah, my .270 ABolt was just about perfect for me. No creeps or hitches. I' m not really that into accuracy that I need a trigger pull so light that a brisk breeze will set it off.

As long as I can keep ' em in an area the size of a baseball, no deer stands a chance...or elk...or bear...or...

To each his own...
Old 08-21-2003, 06:31 PM

Oldelkhunter, thanks for the info on the A-Bolt trigger. There is an excellent gunsmith in Lexington, MO which isn' t too awful far from where I live. His name is Terry Kopp, some of you may have heard of him. He drilled and tapped a Rem. 870 for me to mount a scope on a few years back. I' m sure he can lighten up my trigger for me if anybody can. Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 270 A-bolt and when I bought it I thought it was a little heavy. I mentioned to the gunsmith I deal with that I was going to lighten as per the manual, he said don' t bother bring it to me and I' ll take care of it in a few minutes. Of course that was why I mentioned it. I would definetaly suggest taking it to a good gunsmith, he will take that 7 lbs trigger down to 3 and you' ll be glad you did and know it is done right!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:53 AM

a-bolts come with a stiff trigger. i would not try the adjustments myself. i took it to gunsmith and he did a trigger job.it made mu gun or it made me shoot better
Old 08-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

He didn' t tell you what the saftey feature was?I am curious,I got a stalker in 270 wsm this year and it wouldn' t go down to what I wanted.I am not a gunsmith but in about 10 minutes I figured out how to fix it.It has worked great all summer and can adjust it up or down.