Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 trigger pull weight - Browning A-bolt... >

trigger pull weight - Browning A-bolt...

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

trigger pull weight - Browning A-bolt...

Old 12-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default trigger pull weight - Browning A-bolt...

I have two rifles that I primarily use for hunting. One is a Browning A-bolt medallion and the other is a Tikka T3. Both are chambered in 30-06. I like both guns, but there is a significant difference in the trigger pull weights between them.

The Tikka pulls right at 3 lbs, while the Browning is at 4.8. I have tried to adjust the Browning to get lighter, but it won't go any lighter than I have it set at. I would like both these rifles to have the same pull weight, and I don't want to adjust the Tikka to pull more than it's at right now. My thought is that I need to replace the trigger itself in the Browning.

Does anybody have any other thoughts? If I'm on the right approach, what are the good manufacturers I should be looking at for trigger mechanisms?

Thanks,
Old 12-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: trigger pull weight - Browning A-bolt...

mustad you can get your abolt trigger to 3 lbs without an aftermarket it will require a different spring for sure andmaybe a slight hone/polish. I'd take it to a gunsmith, should be able to fix you up for a lot less then a replacement trigger. I had my abolt dropped to 3lbs clean/crisp break whenI bought it a number of years ago, my smith changed out the spring plus honed and polished it.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks skeeter,

Funny, I took my rifle to my gunsmith yesterday to get his opinions as well. He said replace the trigger. Never even mentioned spring replacement or polishing/honing. Guess it's time to get a new gunsmith.

Cheers,
Old 12-22-2006, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey man these springs are out there for cheaper but here they are at Brownells. They come with 2 replacements to make that Browning trigger perfect. You only need to take out 1 screw at bottom of trigger itll swing forward pull out old spring and put in replacement. The springs are 1-3lbs and a 2-4lbs adjustment range. If you have any probs putting them in PM me and I'll be happy to talk you through it. Ive got a couple a-bolts and have done it for both. It is literally a 5 minute job. I hope this helps.

There is no polishing/honing that needs to be done.(At least not on the 5 A-bolts I've put springs in)

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16699&title=BROWNING+A-BOLT+TRIGGER+SPRING+KIT
Old 12-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The trigger on my A-bolt 300 WSM is at 2.5lbs.

I watched my gunsmith do it. He took the spring, cut out two coils, honed them back flat, adjusted the screw, put on some moly, done in 5 minutes. Checked it for slam fires, no problems of course. Piece of cake. Easiest trigger to do a job on, and one of the safest.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I reworked the trigger on my A-bolts resulting in a crisp 1.8 pound pull.
Grind 1.5 coils off the spring,adjust trigger,and use brownells action lube+ or action magic 2.