Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Cleaning Solvents >

Gun Cleaning Solvents

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Cleaning Solvents

Old 08-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gun Cleaning Solvents

What is a good cleaning solvent and a good lubricant?
Old 08-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun Cleaning Solvents

There are so many new products on the market that I have never tried.I have always stuck with Hoppes #9. Never had a problem using the trusty Hoppes.For storage I use RIG.For general lubrication I use Remoil.I say if something works why change. I buy the Hoppes in quart bottles which lasts a long time especially the little bit I get to shoot anymore.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 08-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

for centerfire rifles that use copper jacketed bullets I recommend an Ammonia based (sweets) barrel cleaner and phospher bronze brushes.

Scrub the barrel with ammonia once a year with a bore mop and work it over twenty times with a wire brush.

Dry it with a new mop and oil it with a third mop. I use Rem oil for the last step.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:04 PM

I like Sweets for heavy duty copper removal and Hoppe' s Benchrest for general bore cleaning. CLP is my favorite lubricant with RIG being my long term storage grease.

But there are a number of products on the market with probably very little real difference between most of them.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find that Butch' s Bore SHine works better than alot of other solvents for removing copper fouling. I like Remoil and Birchwood casey Sheath for protective oils.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooter' s Choice, CR-10, and JB' s. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:45 PM

There are lots of good solvents on the market. Some old some new. Personally I use Hoppes Benchrest and Hoppes No. 9. I use Rem oil as a regular lub and RIG for long storage.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

all i use is remoil or breakfree clp.......use it for everything...even in the bore..put it on my patches...my brushes...and i whipe the gun down at the end with it also....i like remoil because its real thin....a thick oil can gunk up quick if you use too much..but ive never had a problem with either.....some hoppes powder solvent came with my gun cleaning kit.....to me oil did the same thing......so i wont buy more...
Old 08-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

I' ve become fond of a product called M-Pro7. Originally developed for cleaning F16 aircraft, it does a great job on powder & lead fouling with a light scrubbing. You still need a copper cleaner (I prefer Sweets 7.62 or J-Bs paste for that), but the M-Pro cleans out the other fouling so well, that it makes the copper removal easier.

It is practically odorless & biodegradable - so cleaning in the house doesn' t tick-off Mama (much ) . It' s not real cheap however, but Midway & Brownells carry it now at a slightly cheaper price than the manufacturer charges. Check this stuff out at:

http://www.mp7.com/

For after-cleaning lube, I use a CLP type product - either Breakfree, FP-10, or Militec