Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.270 or .308 >

.270 or .308

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 or .308

Old 08-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rjhans53
I wouldn't use a 243 but that's just me.
Why not????
Old 08-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I am not patient enough to always wait for the perfect shot, Like I said I feel that for ME that a 243 is on the light side, But a 358 win hits them hard, so does my 338 fed. If you want to use one go for it, but for me it isn't going to happen.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keep in mind the facts stated in the original post. Small shooter with bad shoulder. .243 is an excellent choice. Regardless of what cartridge you are using, you need to know its limitations, select the right bullet, and pick the right shot.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Fork Horn

I did keep in mind the original post, that's why I originally said 7mm08 shooting 120 gr pills. I just mentioned my bigger calibers so that my thinking that bigger is better is how I perceive things, heck I think (not completely convinced yet) that I'm going to try to get a field experience with a 6.5 x 55 this year. I'm not so sure a 257 roberts might not be the way to go, I just can't convince myself of that.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

I am not patient enough to always wait for the perfect shot, Like I said I feel that for ME that a 243 is on the light side, But a 358 win hits them hard, so does my 338 fed. If you want to use one go for it, but for me it isn't going to happen.
I can't imagine using either of those calibers on a deer...I like to eat venison to much to waste that much meat.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, I thought you might actually have some experience with the caliber...
Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol patience? texas heart shooter huh? can always just shoot off the back legs...they will eventually die, or learn to walk on the front legs.
243 is way more than needed to drop elk. 358 is way more than needed to bring down the space shuttle.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

No I don't have any experience with the 243 but I don't have any experience with the #1 poacher weapon either (22 lr) but I'm not going to go out and try that either, as far as shooting off the back legs, ain't gonna do it however if one is quartering away and I put the bullet in just behind the last rib and it exits in the brisket (dime size hole maybe) it works very well, or if the only shot I have in thick brush is to take out the front shoulders, then I have enough to do it with. I never said the 243 wasn't enough gun, way to many discussions on that one already, I just said for myself, I would not use it. But also I have a friend that hunts a ranch in Arcadia and because of the # of lost deer with a 243, they don't allow them.

Last edited by rjhans53; 08-14-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I don't have any experience with the 243 but I don't have any experience with the #1 poacher weapon either (22 lr) but I'm not going to go out and try that either, as far as shooting off the back legs, ain't gonna do it however if one is quartering away and I put the bullet in just behind the last rib and it exits in the brisket (dime size hole maybe) it works very well, or if the only shot I have in thick brush is to take out the front shoulders, then I have enough to do it with. I never said the 243 wasn't enough gun, way to many discussions on that one already, I just said for myself, I would not use it. But also I have a friend that hunts a ranch in Arcadia and because of the # of lost deer with a 243, they don't allow them.
well..we just dont let poor shooters hunt.
if ya cant get a nice group at 100 yards, ya keep on shooting til ya do.
when you're not "patient" enough to wait for a good shot, you are a poor hunter.
I dont, nor do I know anyone who will, hunt with people who cant shoot...
thats why guys dont get to go home to their family's.
if they cant shoot, chances are they dont have enough time on firearms to be safe with them.
not only a safety hazard, but bad ethical decision to let them hunt.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
well..we just dont let poor shooters hunt.
if ya cant get a nice group at 100 yards, ya keep on shooting til ya do.
when you're not "patient" enough to wait for a good shot, you are a poor hunter.
I dont, nor do I know anyone who will, hunt with people who cant shoot...
thats why guys dont get to go home to their family's.
if they cant shoot, chances are they dont have enough time on firearms to be safe with them.
not only a safety hazard, but bad ethical decision to let them hunt.
I agree 110%...and also a reason I no longer hunt on public land...to many "impatient" hunters out there....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.