Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Double Tap Ammo >

Double Tap Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Double Tap Ammo

Old 06-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Double Tap Ammo

Has anyone had much experience with Double Tap ammo?
Wasn't sure if this was the appropriate place to post this or not....but what the heck....

I'm looking at the cost of reloading vs. buying factory ammo.
In looking through different factory loadings, I noticed that Double Tap seems to claim to have better velocity in most of their loadings over most other factory loads.

I didn't know if their lineup was similar to Federal's "High Energy" or Hornady's "Heavy Magnum" loadings.

For example....

Most manufactures show a 180gr. bullet from a .300 Win. Mag. starting out at about 2960 fps.

Double tap lists their at 3050 fps., and state that those #'s were obtained from a 24" barrel Savage Rifle.

Can I get some input on this company and their ammo from ya'll?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my youth, I pored over and probably memorized every chart provided in the Remington, Winchester-Western, and Federal catalogs. Surely, the load with the highest velocity, giving the highest energy, was the best load for me to use, no?

Reality was something different. My Remington 600 had an 18" barrel. While I knew that I'd lose (by published "rule-of-thumb") 50 fps per inch of barrel less than tested length (typically 24"), I had no idea what kinds of velocities I was achieving. Consequently, I had no idea I was even close to what the catalogs suggested.

If you really want to evaluate the performance of factory ammunition, I suggest you purchase a chronograph and some kind of ballistics software. A simple ShootingChrony still runs about $100, while basic software like Sierra's will run you around $40. By measuring the velocities you achieve from each factory load and plugging them into the software along with bullet characteristics like the BC, you're going to have a far better picture of what those load will do trajectory-wise, and with accurate velocities you'll also have a reliable basis to suggest other performance indicators (although I don't find them all that important now) like "energy."

And, if you start reloading, both will give you a basis to evaluate load you develop on your own.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

I completely agree that a chrono will be the only way to TRUELY know what velocity MY rifle with give me......

But that wasn't really the intent of my post.

I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Double Tap Ammo and if they're trying to compete with the current "high energy" or "superperformance" loads (using top secret powder blends) out there OR if they simply are loading these rounds hotter than most other manufactures.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
I completely agree that a chrono will be the only way to TRUELY know what velocity MY rifle with give me......

But that wasn't really the intent of my post.

I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Double Tap Ammo and if they're trying to compete with the current "high energy" or "superperformance" loads (using top secret powder blends) out there OR if they simply are loading these rounds hotter than most other manufactures.

Never tried their ammo in rifle configuration and have no idea of how they load, but I have tried their pistol ammo. I have found it to be accurate in my Glocks and it does reach advertised velocity. If I remember correctly, they started out offering stout loads for the 10 mm auto and have since expanded. IMO, the pistol ammo is quality stuff and can only guess that that the rifle ammo would be as well.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 07-01-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Never tried their ammo in rifle configuration and have no idea of how they load, but I have tried their pistol ammo. I have found it to be accurate in my Glocks and it does reach advertised velocity. If I remember correctly, they started out offering stout loads for the 10 mm auto and have since expanded. IMO, the pistol ammo is quality stuff and can only guess that that the rifle ammo would be as well.

X2 what he said .They indeed started putting together full power rounds for the 10 because everybody else "Whimped " it down.Also as VA said I have only used their hand gun ammo.For self defense that is the ONLYbrand that I use.I buy for several different calibers and each one performs extremly well.One of the good points about DT is that you can order it with your choice of projectiles.As far as the "secret powder formula" Don't know how they do it but they do get some extreme velocities with their loadings especially with the 10mm .They have 1 load that sends a 135 gr. @1608 f.p.s. out of a 5 inch Glock .That's 'smokin. J.M.H.O.