Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Redhawk vs. Blackhawk? . . .Worth Xtra $300.00 >

Redhawk vs. Blackhawk? . . .Worth Xtra $300.00

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Redhawk vs. Blackhawk? . . .Worth Xtra $300.00

Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

I'm not buying it to hunt with or would have many other choices ahead of it for all the reasons mentioned. It will be an "in-the-woods-sidearm-in-the-camper-or 4 wheelin'-gun-I-can-use-as-a-bear-gun-during-archery-season" kind of thing.
And I'm having trouble justifying the $300.00. Don't think I will.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both, a 7.5" Super Blackhawk and two Super Redhawks one scoped 10", the other a unscoped 7.5". All are very fine guns, but for carrying I would go with the Blackhawk. I dont ever carry my Super Redhawks, they are just too big, but are extremly accurate pistol, I can hit beer cans at 100 yards all day with no problems, with my 10" Super Redhawk, not too many revolvers, if any that I can say that about, but it is scoped, I have a Leupold pistol scope on it. My Super Blackhawk is also a very accurate pistol, I have bought and sold MANY S&W model 29's and 629's and have NEVER seen one that will shoot with any of my Rugers, that is why they have came and gone. Rugers make a excellent revolver, you just have to decide wether you want a single action or a double action. You cant go wrong with either! In my opinion, you will be very happy with what ever you choose.

Last edited by fritz1; 05-28-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Spike

While the price difference is significant, IMO it boils down to which one feels better to you. Both are great weapons. I have had my Super Blackhawk 44 mag for 30 years now. It is a tack driver and after all the rounds I have fed her, she feels like an extension of my arm. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a big Ruger wheelgun fan, my wife and I have over a dozen of them in the safe... Hard to beat a Ruger revolver...

I don't have any Ruger wheel guns in .45colt, but I DO have 2 Super Blackhawks and 3 Super Redhawks (SBH standard .44mag, SBH Bisley Hunter .44mag, SRH .454 Cassul 7.5", SRH Alaskan .454 Cassul, and SRH Alaskan .44mag). The .45colt are a dream to shoot out of the .454 Cassul's. The big Ruger frames are heavy enough to tame even hot loaded .45 Colt +P's, but still portable enough to carry comfortably.

Both the SRH/RH and SBH/BH are GREAT revolvers. The grip angle of the Standard Super Blackhawk is very different than the SBH Bisley Hunter and the SRH. The SRH and SBH Bisley are much more comfortable under a scope for me.

You're right though, for $300, it's hard to justify picking up the double action. However, for a "camp revolver", I'd probably prefer a double action, so I could load and unload quicker, and could plink a bit easier. When I'm hunting in bear country, the double action always gets top billing over the Super Blackhawks.

I've taken a lot of deer with my Ruger wheel guns over the years, and haven't necessarily chosen one distinct favorite, but I find myself taking the Ruger Super Blackhawk (standard) .44mag into the field a lot more than the others. That may be biased just because it was my first revolver, or maybe because I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter, so I spend a lot of time with the single actions, but for whatever reason, if I'm deer hunting, I probably have that SBH in tow.

I guess one thing to consider, if you buy the double action, you're able to shoot it single action, but if you buy the single action, you're stuck with single action. Spending the extra $300 up front would save the risk of WISHING you had a double action later.

Either way, you won't be disappointed in a Ruger revolver...
Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Banned

This may all be a moot point . . . My gun dealer tells me "none of these guns are available right now through several distributers"!!! Even the Casull's show "0" available. Apparently Ruger builds one thing at a time and shuts down to re-tool for something else and they are just not making them right now.
And I am looking at new. Might have to change my thinking there too!

Nomercy . . . you shooting the .45C through your 7.5" Casull? Cause it looks like they only recommend that in the Alaskan.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have the SuperRedhawk in .44 &454 {which will shoot .45 as well} both 7.5" and love them both as for the weight I have a bandollero shoulder holster for them {from Sportsmans Guide] about $70.00 and can carry them comfortablly I also have several Blackhawks .357, 41 44 but the SuperRedhawks are my favorite I hope this helps chad
Old 06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
This may all be a moot point . . . My gun dealer tells me "none of these guns are available right now through several distributers"!!! Even the Casull's show "0" available. Apparently Ruger builds one thing at a time and shuts down to re-tool for something else and they are just not making them right now.
And I am looking at new. Might have to change my thinking there too!

Nomercy . . . you shooting the .45C through your 7.5" Casull? Cause it looks like they only recommend that in the Alaskan.
I'm not sure what year of the Ruger Super Redhawk you're looking at, but page 11 of my owners manual for my 7.5" Super Redhawk .454 Cassul clearly says that .45 Colt ammunition can be used in the .454 cassul models. This is also listed on their website (as of 6/1/2011) under the "features" tab of the Super Redhawk "standard".

Besides that, it's generally accepted that ANY .454 Cassul revolver will accept .45 Colt ammunition. They both headspace on the rim, are the exact same cartridge dimensions (except length) and the .454 Cassul is higher pressure, therefore the .45 colt is perfectly safe for use in a .454 cassul revolver, regardless of whether it is explicitly printed in the manual or not (which it IS printed in the Ruger manual).