HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Redhawk vs. Blackhawk? . . .Worth Xtra $300.00
Old 05-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I am a big Ruger wheelgun fan, my wife and I have over a dozen of them in the safe... Hard to beat a Ruger revolver...

I don't have any Ruger wheel guns in .45colt, but I DO have 2 Super Blackhawks and 3 Super Redhawks (SBH standard .44mag, SBH Bisley Hunter .44mag, SRH .454 Cassul 7.5", SRH Alaskan .454 Cassul, and SRH Alaskan .44mag). The .45colt are a dream to shoot out of the .454 Cassul's. The big Ruger frames are heavy enough to tame even hot loaded .45 Colt +P's, but still portable enough to carry comfortably.

Both the SRH/RH and SBH/BH are GREAT revolvers. The grip angle of the Standard Super Blackhawk is very different than the SBH Bisley Hunter and the SRH. The SRH and SBH Bisley are much more comfortable under a scope for me.

You're right though, for $300, it's hard to justify picking up the double action. However, for a "camp revolver", I'd probably prefer a double action, so I could load and unload quicker, and could plink a bit easier. When I'm hunting in bear country, the double action always gets top billing over the Super Blackhawks.

I've taken a lot of deer with my Ruger wheel guns over the years, and haven't necessarily chosen one distinct favorite, but I find myself taking the Ruger Super Blackhawk (standard) .44mag into the field a lot more than the others. That may be biased just because it was my first revolver, or maybe because I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter, so I spend a lot of time with the single actions, but for whatever reason, if I'm deer hunting, I probably have that SBH in tow.

I guess one thing to consider, if you buy the double action, you're able to shoot it single action, but if you buy the single action, you're stuck with single action. Spending the extra $300 up front would save the risk of WISHING you had a double action later.

Either way, you won't be disappointed in a Ruger revolver...