Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
remington 700 .308 police tactical rifle >

remington 700 .308 police tactical rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington 700 .308 police tactical rifle

Old 06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Spike

Default remington 700 .308 police tactical rifle

Hi - As my next gun I want to buy a remington 700 .308 tactical rifle with scope. Any tips or advice would be appreciated! Considering new or used? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!! - Kevin
Old 06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Kevin,

It is your money, so it is your decision what to purchase and when. Since you are new to shooting, you may want to consider getting more experience, knowledge and shooting time with different rifles, calibers and optics before your next purchase. Would a 1/10 or a 1/12 rate of twist be best for your particular application in .308 Win? Also be knowledgeable about proper rifle fit. This information can help you make a well informed decision.

Here are some things you may want to consider in addition to the items listed above.

A bull (heavy) barrel can help with barrel rigidity, but it also adds weight. Will you be carrying this rifle a long way or using it in heavy cover? A heavier rifle takes more energy to carry and is not as easy or quick to put on target.

As far as Remington 700 in a heavy barrel, they also have the VTR. The VTR has a triangular barrel. I am not sure if all VTR's have a built in muzzle brake, but all the ones I have looked at do. SOME VTR rilfes have the 5R rifling (five lands and five grooves), but 5R rifling is not common in VTR rifles. One of the complaints on the VTR is the stock.

Savage also makes a decent bull barrel in .308 Win. Savage rifles usually have better out-of-the-box accuracy than Remington rifles. That means if you take the rifles out of the box with no adjustments, the Savage will usually have a smaller group without any adjustments to the rifle (stock, trigger, barrel to stock fit, etc.)

There are after market accessories for both Remington and Savage tactical rifles, but I believe there are more accessory options (suppliers) for the Remington 700.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

For the money I think it's a excellent rifle. Trigger is really decent coming from the factory and the balance of the rifle is great. My friend has two Remington tactical rifles and I've debated getting one in a .223.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since this is a hunting forum for the most part, the word "tactical" often implies characteristics that may make a particular "tactical" firearm less suitable than a "standard" in the field. Weight is often the most significant of these. "Tactical" firearms tend to be heavier than their counterparts.

One of my rifles is built on an out-of-the box Remington 700 LTR (.308, 1:10, 20"). From the beginning, it's turned 1/2 MOA with M118LR ball, thus delaying to some degree my initial plan of an aftermarket barrel. Nonethless, with the heavy barrel it was heavier from the start than I'd want to carry hunting and became even heavier after I parked it in a 1.5 AICS and topped it with a Mark 4 6.5x20 ER/T. I should note here that this rifle was intended for the KD range almost exclusively - not for the field.

Your intended use isn't clear here. If you're going to hunt with something like this, I'd recommend the 700, but more likely the SPS. If you want to stick with .308, I'd stay with 1:12. The SPS stock isn't the greatest, but affordable aftermarket stocks abound for the 700.

If you plan this rifle to be used at the range only, you may want to shop some other forums more dedicated to those purposes (sniper's hide, etc.). And - be prepared to shell out some cash, a fully-utilized "tactical" rifle will chew through more of your budget than will something meant for the deer woods.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since this is a hunting forum for the most part, the word "tactical" often implies characteristics that may make a particular "tactical" firearm less suitable than a "standard" in the field. Weight is often the most significant of these. "Tactical" firearms tend to be heavier than their counterparts.

One of my rifles is built on an out-of-the box Remington 700 LTR (.308, 1:10, 20"). From the beginning, it's turned 1/2 MOA with M118LR ball, thus delaying to some degree my initial plan of an aftermarket barrel. Nonethless, with the heavy barrel it was heavier from the start than I'd want to carry hunting and became even heavier after I parked it in a 1.5 AICS and topped it with a Mark 4 6.5x20 ER/T. I should note here that this rifle was intended for the KD range almost exclusively - not for the field.

Your intended use isn't clear here. If you're going to hunt with something like this, I'd recommend the 700, but more likely the SPS. If you want to stick with .308, I'd stay with 1:12. The SPS stock isn't the greatest, but affordable aftermarket stocks abound for the 700.

If you plan this rifle to be used at the range only, you may want to shop some other forums more dedicated to those purposes (sniper's hide, etc.). And - be prepared to shell out some cash, a fully-utilized "tactical" rifle will chew through more of your budget than will something meant for the deer woods.