HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Winchester Model 70 - Any years to avoid?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 AM
gunnermhr
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hubby11
I get that the pre '64 guns are coveted for the crf feature, and that some subsequent models have re-introduced this.
Steve, The pre 64 is prefered because of the "Claw" Extractor. The CRF proceeded that. There is nothing wrong with either quite honestly. I am a Winchester guy, well at least was a Winchester guy, I once bought a Remington and never really looked back unless it was an older Winchester or one I just had to have. I bought my son a Remington Mountain rifle for his first birthday in a 25-06, I know it will still be a while untill he can handle it but I like that gun and Caliber. Winchester had a few years that when you ordered one it was kind of a crap shoot whether you were going to end up with a nice piece of wood or something that looked like it came off the dollar discount rack. Remington seems to have consitanly better figured wood. I would have no desire to own a so called "Winchester" that is currently being manufactured. All that being said I still have a soft spot for many winchester rifles, just not the new ones. I believe anything yo get him he will look back after you are long gone and be happy to say my dad bought me that rifle when I was 3 years old, no matter what you get him.