Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Winchester Model 70 - Any years to avoid? >

Winchester Model 70 - Any years to avoid?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Model 70 - Any years to avoid?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

Im not sure he meant to call you out Hoyt....
Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is such a tired argument around here. I think this problem stems from the mix between bench rest shooters and guys that just like to shoot for groups. I'm one of the guys that shoots for groups.

A bench rest shooter doesn't call a gun a .4" shooter unless it can repeat time and time again. I don't have all the fancy stuff to even attempt that level of repeatability. I shoot off sand bags and sometimes I shoot .5" groups and sometimes I shoot 1" groups but I'm usually around .75" groups.

Hoyt, if you're happy with your rifle and feel comfortable calling your rifle a .4" rifle. Then so be it. The general consensus and mine as well is most guys can't shoot what they claim. While I'm sure RR could shoot a .4" group at 100 yards consistently I don't feel he'd come anywhere near that number at 700 yards or heck even half that. he'd likely be a world record holder if he could.

Anyone can be amazing once and if that makes you feel good, go for it.

Tom
Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Site Bouncer

I've got two model 70's (one 1967 and the other 1969) in .7mm and 30-06. Both shoot just fine for me and while I'll admit I'm not a long range target shooter and rarely take a shot past 300yds, I can put all of my shots in a fist (heart) sized target at 200yds with both of these rifles using simple rests (sand bag, back pack, rolled up jacket, etc...) so they are "good to go" for hunting.

Quality wise they are very good. While I prefer control feed bolts I have I've had zero problems with push feed bolt guns while hunting (or at the range). My Winchesters feed and shoot the same as any other bolt gun I have...and I've got a lot of them.

That being said I've never bought a rifle that I haven't held in my hands first......

Last edited by BigJ71; 05-02-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Spike

I purchased one of these in 270 win. back in Feb. this year. I have shot approximately 100 rounds to date. I will first say that the fit and finish are better that expected for a production rifle. The action is bedded in the tang and recoil lug area and is very solid. The barrel is free floated, and as for the trigger; No creep, No over travel, and at 3.5 lbs which feels much lighter it breaks like glass. Second for the accuracy; off the bench at 100 yds. and handloads with H4831sc and Nosler 130 gr Partition bullets it will group 4 shots right at 1/2 inch. with an average velosity of 2970 very low sd & es. The folks in SC have really done their home work and I'm glad to see the Model 70 back in the USA. Hope this helps.

CK
Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Warbird Lover - did you shoot the buck in your avatar? That thing is a beast.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hubby11
I'm looking to pick up a .243 rifle for my son's first gun. He's only 3 so I'll have a chance to make sure it works before I give it to him. Interested in the Model 70 line and will most likely purchase used.

Looking at the Winchester history, it seems that the company has had a few ups and downs and the Model 70 has gone through quite a few changes through the years. I get that the pre '64 guns are coveted for the crf feature, and that some subsequent models have re-introduced this. My question is this: Is there any years/serial numbers that should be avoided when looking at the Model 70?

The intended use would be mainly for whitetail (maybe a coyote or two) and I prefer wood stocks. Thanks.

WOW - It's offered in 243 Win w/ 22" barrel (also comes in 257R, 7-08)

The Model 70 Featherweight:
The Model 70 action offers Pre-’64 style Controlled Round Feeding, a Three-Position Safety and is highlighted by a jeweled bolt body with knurled bolt handle. Inside is the M.O.A. Trigger System, the finest trigger ever offered in a bolt-action with zero take up, zero creep and zero overtravel. Like the original Featherweight, the angled comb Grade I walnut stock still features the Schnabel fore-end and satin finish with elegant cut checkering. A premium Pachmayr® Decelerator® pad helps soak up felt recoil.

Last edited by RaySendero; 12-22-2013 at 12:22 PM.