Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sako Extractor on Rem700

Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

So would you guys recommend one on my Remington XCR 300 ultra mag? If so, what would end up being my total cost and how big of a pain in the ass would it be?

What will I be gaining. I have already put this much dough in the gun, I might as well spend a little more if it will be an improvement. I have never changed a bolt on any of my Remingtons, first time for everything.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BCRules
If it was only about need, then none of us here would have a rifle. I mean a rifle is severe overkill for hunting. I mean anyone, I mean any duffis could kill with a rifle. They even have blind folks out there killing with rifles. I kid you not.

And if its only about need, taxidermy is not a need. That would be silly.

Its never about need when it comes to rifles or handguns. Even if it was a need for a rifle, we would all be shooting cheapo savages and tikka's. Hense, the reason I kill 95% of my animals by stick and string.

Some like quality machining. Like I. Some like, you might like medeocre whatever. This is a guns page where we talk about "likes and wants". Not your needs.
True but if you start a need or don't need that would be a very long and very disputed list. Compound bows, tree stands, rangefinders, carbon suits, bdc reticles, etc. If you were talking to someone from the midwest about not needing a rifle to hunt you would get a funny look. Is it need or necessary?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fritz1
Maybe I need to clarify what I meant. If that little part on a Remington bothers you so much, Why buy a Remington that you are going to have to go spend another $100 to be happy with, just buy something besides the Remington that doesnt have that part on it, and put that $100 in your pocket.
I don't buy new guns. Ever. Well, I did buy a bushyAR and marlin lever. I buy donors for a good price. Then make it what I want. Out of the probably several dozen guns that have ran thru my hands, none was exactly the way I like it from the factory.

There was only one gun I have shot that came the way I want it. And thats an FN-SPR A1. Nothing was needed, nothing needed changed. But still I see folks changing out the bolt handle.

Even Sako 75's which come close to being the way I like it, needs a new stock. A mcmillan fits the fill.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stapher1
True but if you start a need or don't need that would be a very long and very disputed list. Compound bows, tree stands, rangefinders, carbon suits, bdc reticles, etc. If you were talking to someone from the midwest about not needing a rifle to hunt you would get a funny look. Is it need or necessary?
I am trying to go back in life. I try to hunt with bows I make out of one piece of wood. I am trying to use arrows I make. I am trying without much luck, to knap my heads, but its harder than makeing a primitive selfbow. Just what I enjoy.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
well there is no doubt the sako extractor is a superior system, and much stronger than the rem clip type extractor, and more trouble free, especialy in magnum chamberings, I've never owned one that had problems but know people who have.
I've broken 2 700 clip extractors but never had an issue with a sako type.
your clarification is noted but does anyone care?
RR
Kinda what I was thinking.

I had trouble with my first 300RUM. Sometimes wouldn't grab. I replaced it with a supposal stronger "brownells clip". And it worked. But then I had a Baltimore SWAT guy show me his bolt. And I liked the classy look.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

No doubt that the Sako is a superior system than the factory Remington piece but if I were going to spend the money on the extractor modification (especially if I were building from the ground up) I would go M16 style over the Sako style. It's an even stronger and more reliable system than the Sako style is.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
No doubt that the Sako is a superior system than the factory Remington piece but if I were going to spend the money on the extractor modification (especially if I were building from the ground up) I would go M16 style over the Sako style. It's an even stronger and more reliable system than the Sako style is.

I heard that too. I guess badger is about the only one I know selling the kit. If I was opening the bF to a 300RUM or even 338 lapua I would consider the badger kit.