Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
new Ruger Redhawk >

new Ruger Redhawk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new Ruger Redhawk

Old 02-28-2011, 03:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default new Ruger Redhawk

Saw a Ruger Redhawk yesterday at a local gun shop, consignment gun, excellent condition, beautiful custom grips and I'm thinking seriously of getting it. I've seen the videos and read the reports of the Rugers with the barrel threaded section breaks and wondered if there is a way to check the serial number on this one to be sure it was not part of that run. I've registered twice on the Ruger forum and still have not gotten the email to confirm as a forum member so can't check there---any help, information or ideas would be appreciated--------John
Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Occasionally you do hear of this. I read it about other makes also so it's not just a Ruger thing. There was a time when some of the barrels were snapping off. They found some lubricant they were using was the culprit. Could be a flaw in the production materials. There could be several reasons for this. Over torqueing comes to mind. I don't know of any S/N range these problems were occurring.
There's two Ruger forums where you can get allot of information. www.rugerforum.net and www.rugerforum.com You could always call Ruger's Customer Service.
These cases were so isolated I wouldn't let it concern you. I've had a couple Redhawk's for many years and never had an issue with the barrel snapping off or coming loose.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can only speak to my own experience. I have an eighteen year old Ruger Redhawk in 41 Mag that I have never had any kind of mechanical or structural problem with.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...edhawk+barrels

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/08/robert-farago/ruger-redhawk-barrel-failure/
Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys for the information--I'll get on one of those Ruger forums and check with them also, but I'm pretty certain I'll go ahead and get it and when I do, I'll post some photos because it's some real eye candy----thanks again----John
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

John I don't think you'll be disappointed. Get it and shoot it. The Redhawk's or all Ruger's for that matter are very strong guns. Ruger does stand behind them if you do have a problem.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Ruger Redhawk---Thanks for prodding me, sometimes I need it. Awhile back I bought a stainless 6" GP100 from a friend-thought I needed something else so sold it [big mistake] and now have the chance to buy it back along with I want to go get that Redhawk...guess I better save up just a little more--there's no such thing as having too many Ruger revolvers is there?.....John
Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

John, No you can never have to many. I have my fair share of Ruger's. From long guns to handguns. I'm not a real big fan of the Ruger semi auto's with very little experince in the centerfire models. Now their revolvers both S/A and D/A are second to none for the money. I'm pretty fond of their rifles also. Just take your time and you'll get what you want. It's hard to part with them which I guess you learned already.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger wheel guns in general and Redhawk in particular are very strong action, barrel pistols. I own a .44 Mag Redhawk in 4" barrel with Hogue grips. I like shooting it a lot. I have no problems shooting it up near the max recommended loads for 300 gr. hard cast with H110 powder.
Also, a G100 .357 Mag.
I think if they made Super Redhawk in a shorter barrel like 4" I buy one. They have a separate spring for trigger and hammer, which might make the trigger pull a little smoother in dble action mode.
If you have concerns about any batch of any particular manufacturer's batch of a model might have had an issue, contact their support and give them the serial number.

Last edited by MinnFinn; 03-03-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Over the years I have had many Rugers and Ton's of ammo shot through them with no problems yet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.