Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger mini 14 >

Ruger mini 14

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger mini 14

Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

The Saiga 223 is a good platform too.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Spike

I bought a brand new 581 series mini-14 tactical from a buddy of mine. I took off the crap ATI tac stock and threw on a cheap ramline. I love this rifle, I can shoot wolves all day with it out on the Yukon River while out riding. The reason I bought one is my uncle owns one, and I've watched him take everything from arctic fox and wolves to a 500 hundred pound grizzly and a 3 year old moose with it. The moa on my little 16 inch barrel is about 3.5/4 inches at 100 yards. But, I knew I wasn't buying a sniper rifle when I bought it. Nice gun to have strapped to the sled or the 4-wheeler.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been awhile since I had any range time with a Mini-14 and while I've always respected its relative simplicity, I never could quite get beyond the crude sights, the average-to-worse accuracy, the fabulously expensive magazines, and the not-so-great scope mounting options. In fairness, I've dealt with the magazine and scope mounting issues with my M1As as well, but their starting point was so much stronger to begin with in regard to accuracy and sights.

The Mini-14 is a dependable rifle in that it will fire when the trigger is pulled. In my memory, I don't recall ever seeing one on the line at a match.

On the other hand, the AR platform is every bit at home stashed behind the ranch pickup's seat as is the Mini-14. Out-of-the-box accuracy of the AR is far superior to the Mini-14. Magazines are readily available. Sighting options are probably as varied as anything that shoots. Barrel lengths, stock variations, ... all those things you can't even consider with a Mini. The AR is so much more versatile.

All depends on what you're looking for. I hate to malign the Mini-14, but I seriously doubt it's something that'll ever own a spot in my gunsafe. Truthfully, I've a M94 Trapper in .44 Mag that probably does everything I'd be able to do with a Mini, and it's legal to hunt deer with here in WY, while the Mini is not.