Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger mini 14 >

Ruger mini 14

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger mini 14

Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger mini 14

Guys, I am thinking about buying a mini 14 later on this summer, I have done searches on this web site and some posts have said that there are accuracy problems with this rifle, I will not be hunting with this rifle ( got plenty of iron for that) This will be a fun gun and if need be a self defense weapon. I have shot a Kel tec su16 and I liked the rifle but it does not appear to be a well made rifle and they are about the same price where I live. What are your thoughts?
All comments are welcome.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't go wrong with a mini. They actually make a great rifle. The accuracy has gotten better over the years and they make a product called the accu-strut that you can add that really helps. You won't find a more reliable semi or one that make a better crap hit the fan gun.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 02-16-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one once....once!

if i was gonna spend under 500$ Id buy an AK or SKS.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a little more money, you can buy a whole lot more rifle, get a AR, the options offered in a AR are unlimted, if you want a different caliber just change the upper, you dont have to buy a whole new gun.. The Mini-14 is a good rifle but in my opinion is over priced and isnt half the gun a AR is, there is no comparison in accuracy either.
Just my two cents!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

I also had one (Mini 14 & 30), for a bit more money you can get a AR.
Better than the Mini-14 in all aspects as already posted above.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a Mini once, I figure Bill Ruger, god rest his soul still owes me for it too. The one gun in my life that lost value from the minute I bought it til the day I begged someone to buy it from me.
If you are just looking for something that will burn up .223 ammo fast and without fail ....go for it. If you plan on actually shooting at some thing and hitting it consistently, a slingshot is a betterr option.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

i have to agree with the above posters, unless youre getting an absolute steal on one id either go with an ak or an ar. Ive had both and i like the accuracy and the changeability of the ar....but if its a shtf gun, hard to beat the ak.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are a great gun and much more reliable than a AR. When the serious AR guys come to shoot, they always have extra parts and spring kits. You won't ever see a MINI guy needing extra parts because mini's don't break. The are also ten times easier to clean. If you want a gun that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger, the mini is the way to go. They are practicaly indestructable.

Their only downfall is you won't get moa accuracy but you have to remember, these guns were designed to kill people not prarie dogs. I might add that their accuracy has improved dramaticaly over the last few years.

Click below for the real scoop on mini's.
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/

Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

An AR15 is the easies semi auto out there to clean, the whole upper recvr comes apart in seconds, getting the bolt back in a mini is a PITA, especially if it has a scope. Now i will agree it is more reliable as far as feeding and jamming compared to an ar15, but changing magazines fast in the ar15 much easier than a mini 14, ak, or sks etc.

Basically if you want a nice hi cap semi that shoots good at over 50 yds and you can mount a scope on and hunt with and have fun at the range an ar15 is the WTG.

For a short range home defense rifle, a mini is fine but in my experience their accuracy past 50 yds is terrible, an you can get an AK47 for less and IMO have a much better rifle for its intended use.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

I'd put my money into an AR or an AK - i've owned both the 14 and 30 was not impressed with either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.