Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Getting the "Black Rifle" itch.. >

Getting the "Black Rifle" itch..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Getting the "Black Rifle" itch..

Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
I have 2 "black rifles" a Rock River and a Bushmaster...I bought the Bushmaster first and one thing after another was bad on it (I bought it new). After replacing the barrel (with a 1:8 Pac-Nor) and the upper and having trigger work done it finally shoots ok....just ok...even after 2 dozen different load variations I recently bought a Rock River...love it, drops ragged 1 hole groups @ 200 with just about any 45-60g bullet I feed it. Other than a minor trigger adjustment, the rifle has been a dream come true and in the long run it was less $ than I invested in the Bushmaster...so if I had it to do over, I'd go Rock River fro the get go.

That being said I also have 2 Mini-14's that out-shoot the Bushmaster a half the price...LOL
Here is the accuracy that I get from my bone stock Bushmaster Varmiter Special SS, factory barrel and trigger, the only thing that isnt factory is the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x scope. 15 shots at 100 yards that can be covered by a dime, it will do this all day long. I have NEVER even heard of a Mini 14 that even shoots half as good as any AR. As a matter of fact, Mini 14's are known for being over priced and displaying poor accuracy.

Last edited by fritz1; 06-08-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the Bushmaster first and one thing after another was bad on it (I bought it new). After replacing the barrel (with a 1:8 Pac-Nor) and the upper and having trigger work done it finally shoots ok....just ok...even after 2 dozen different load variations
All of the accuracy potential in an AR-15 resides in the upper assembly, other than the trigger, there is nothing in the lower receiver that has any bearing on the rifle's accuracy potential.

If the barrel is correctly installed and the upper is properly assembled, it should shoot.

Is it free floated? Besides a good barrel, this is the most important accuracy upgrade on an AR-15.

Is your gas tube properly aligned? If its torsioning against the barrel nut or receiver keyway, it will adversely affect accruracy. Ideally, you want the gas tube to have the least amount of contact possible with the notch in the barrel nut and the keyway. It needs to also be as close to perfectly aligned with the gas key on the bolet carrier as well- you don't want it dragging.

Check the barrel crown.

I'm not sure what you tried for loads, but it should be very easy to find a really accurate load with 69gr SMKs, Winchester brass, CCI 400 or Winchester WSR primers and 24.5-25.5 gr of Varget or RL-15. If it won't shoot with one of these loads, something is wrong with the rifle.

BTW, my first was a Bushmaster too, it had a few problems that I eventually got sorted out.

Last edited by Briman; 06-09-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have seen one mini 14 that did shoot good ,it was not AR15 good but very good for a 14. most of them would make better boat anchors.
i do under stand the want of a new AR ,my self i'd like to have a new upper in .300 ossm
Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 AM
Spike

Im on my 4th black rifle but sold one a few years ago and wish i hadnt.

Rock River CAR4 5.56 flat top
S&W MP-15/22LR
DPMS Oracle 5.56
Colt M16 .22LR

Having to send the MP15 back to S&W because of the extractor "disappearing" somehow (still havent figured that one out) and about 3" from the muzzle inside the barrel there is a groove that runs around the entire bore, not sure whats up there.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Site Bouncer

I like the AR platform but I'm not a big fan of the "mall ninja" super gizmo attachments that are so popular now.

I have a few AR's but shoot a couple more than others. For hunting I prefer a flat top upper receiver with a short barrel. They are light enough to carry afield and I can add a scope to it or attach the carry handle with iron sights.... what ever I feel like. I don't need super accuracy out of them just good enough for yotes, rabbits, whistle pigs etc...

For plinking give me a lightweight carbine all day, throw in a .22 conversion kit and it's loads of fun all day.

I'm a big fan however of the old school A1 configuration...way cool!

Simple, lightweight A1 upper with Colt pencil barrel and iron sights
the rest of the crew...

Last edited by BigJ71; 10-22-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigJ71
I like the AR platform but I'm not a big fan of the "mall ninja" super gizmo attachments that are so popular now.

I have a few AR's but shoot a couple more than others. For hunting I prefer a flat top upper receiver with a short barrel. They are light enough to carry afield and I can add a scope to it or attach the carry handle with iron sights.... what ever I feel like. I don't need super accuracy out of them just good enough for yotes, rabbits, whistle pigs etc...

For plinking give me a lightweight carbine all day, throw in a .22 conversion kit and it's loads of fun all day.

I'm a big fan however of the old school A1 configuration...way cool!

Simple, lightweight A1 upper with Colt pencil barrel and iron sights

The rest of the crew...
Nice!!!!