Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Getting the "Black Rifle" itch.. >

Getting the "Black Rifle" itch..

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Getting the "Black Rifle" itch..

Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by statjunk
Not a necessity but makes cleaning easier.

Do you have a friend with one?

Tom
Not really. I'm the first in my circle to take an interest in these.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chrome lined chambers and chrome plated bolt carriers are much less important to civilian shooters that can thoroughly clean their guns regularly, and don't have their LIVES depending on their rifle going "Bang"...
Old 02-03-2011, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any chance there is a local gun club where you can go to test shoot them before you decide to buy one?

I got the itch a while back. I bought three of them over the years. I don't have one anymore and really don't ever want one again. Just not for me.

Now on the other hand, if I had a boat load of money and were willing to buy ammo by the case and go out to a rock quarry or something like it and set up things to shoot (jugs, cans, watermellons etc..) and just blast away like Rambo, I think I'd have several of them again.

Tom
Old 02-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Any chance there is a local gun club where you can go to test shoot them before you decide to buy one?

I got the itch a while back. I bought three of them over the years. I don't have one anymore and really don't ever want one again. Just not for me.

Now on the other hand, if I had a boat load of money and were willing to buy ammo by the case and go out to a rock quarry or something like it and set up things to shoot (jugs, cans, watermellons etc..) and just blast away like Rambo, I think I'd have several of them again.

Tom
None of the clubs that are local have guns to rent if that's what you mean. I've eyed these things for a while and I'm just now starting to investigate them. I got alot of good info at AR15.com but I still can't nail down exactly what I need / want. I'm leaning towards the Rock River Arms Tactical Entry. Seems like a pretty good rifle to start with. Anyone on here have an opinion on RRA?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My word of caution would be that "the itch" isn't terminal... Everybody, at one time or another, gets a "need" for a "high volume plinker", "tactical rifle", "black rifle", etc etc, but after the new wears off, you're basically left with a $2000 toy sitting in the safe collecting dust. You'll be so excited as you spend a few hours loading up a dozen 30rnd magazines, and you'll love the rush as you tear off shots as fast as your finger can twitch, but then at the end of the day, your accuracy sucked and you just blew $100 of ammo, and you spent 2hrs loading magazines, only to blow them empty within 20min.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of the AR-15 platform, and own several. I also build custom AR-15's. I'm not a fan of the 4 rail "tactical" styled AR-15's, but I have a lot of customers with "the itch" that order them.

Where I think the AR-15 really shines is on the bench. Admittedly, no, it can't keep pace with a top end bolt action rife, but many of my rifles have acheived 0.5-0.25MOA accuracy, even with factory ammo. For the competitive shooter, it's an advantage to have a semiauto so the shooter can minimize shot to shot time, allowing them to shoot a group quickly while wind conditions are relatively constant. The accurized AR-15 semiauto also eliminates the necessity to move to cycle the bolt, so the shooter can retain his consistent shooting position from shot to shot. For long range coyote or prairie dog hunters, or for heavy brush hog hunters, it's also an advantage to be able to deliver quick follow up shots while keeping the scope on target. Which is also a huge advantage while tracking running game.

One day sitting over a prairie dog town with an accurized AR-15 and you'll be hooked for life.

But again, most guys get a "rambo complex", aka "the itch" at one time or another, so they'll seek out a "tactical" 4-rail AR-15 and spend $2-3,000 on the rifle and accessories, only to realize that they have no real practical use for it.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

See above. When the itch comes back. Read above again.

If you have a semi-auto itch right now that needs scratching look into some of the hunting rifle offerings that are semi-auto. Something in a really small cartridge like a .243 Win or 7mm-08. Semi auto hunting rifle in heavy duty cartridges aren't really practical as follow up shots can be difficult with the heavy recoil.

As for me I'm on the hunt for a Winchester 100 in .243 Win. If I find one in great condition I don't care where, it's coming home with me.

Tom
Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

As for me I'm on the hunt for a Winchester 100 in .243 Win. If I find one in great condition I don't care where, it's coming home with me.

Tom
I got one in a 284 Win., a nice gun but I dont shoot it often, I have too many other guns to shoot, this one is put up.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Camo,

I was thinking about your post last night. If this black gun thing is something that you just have to itch. Just got to do it.

I'd suggest getting an LAR-8. Which is an AR chambered for .308 Win. That way when your trigger happiness wears off you'll still have a big game hunting rifle.

They cost more money but not that much more. Maybe like $300 more.

Tom
Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Camo,

I was thinking about your post last night. If this black gun thing is something that you just have to itch. Just got to do it.

I'd suggest getting an LAR-8. Which is an AR chambered for .308 Win. That way when your trigger happiness wears off you'll still have a big game hunting rifle.

They cost more money but not that much more. Maybe like $300 more.

Tom
I understand what you guys are saying, I really do, but heres the thing. I've been slowly shrinking my gun collection down. I had way more deer rifles than I needed and I had several I never even used. I'm getting into the mind set that Quality over quantity is much better. I live and hunt in PA so semi auto deer and varmint rifles are out for me. Basically this is a just a want and not a need. It will fill a void in my safe. No, I won't be using it much but it's still something I would like to have. I'm not the Rambo type, I'm not going to hang lights and lasers or anything else off of it. A nice optic and I'm done. I did just find out that a buddy of mine in Ill is the son in law of Bill Wylde. He's been giving me some good info too and has offered to go over whatever gun I get this year when I go out there bowhunting. Anyway, a basic AR is all I'm after, the only thing I really want as far as an accessory is an adjustable stock. Thats the only Rambo part I want. Simply because I like how it looks.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another option for the semiauto rifle with a bit of "black rifle" flair is the Winchester SX-AR (FN FN-AR clone) in .308win. Heavy barrel, camo coat, all the knock down power of a .308win, in a very manageable platform. A work colleague of mine used one this summer on our many prairie dog trips together, performed flawlessly from 60-400yrds on p-dogs even with cheap russian steel cased JHP's. Remarkably, recoil was manageable enough to keep the dogs in the scope for quick follow up shots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.