Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger No. 1's >

Ruger No. 1's

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger No. 1's

Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Vapodog
I had a varmint model in 6mm Remington....it wouldn't group better than 3" at 100 yards.....I returned it to Ruger three times and finally called them and asked what loads they was using to decide to return the gun.....it was then that they said that their warranty on that gun is 1.5" groups at 50 yards.....

I wouldn't give you a dime for an entire truck load of them!
Well that certainly throws some cold water on my lust for these guns for sure. I appreciate the input. I may get still get one and try it out.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't had one that wouldn't shoot sub 3/4" groups to holes in holes. It's all in the owner and as far as 1 1/2" at fifty yards Ruger didn't say that.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

BlackElk...I know a hell of a lot of people that can't shoot if the #1's are all sub 3/4 MOA.

Funny, I have other guns that I can shoot extremely tight groups with...but I must not be as accomplished as some when it comes to holding the #1.

And if you could shoot a sub 3/4" group at 100 yds with the last #1 I bought....I'd kiss your arse in the middle of town. The trigger alone wouldn't allow tight groups...for the price this is not acceptable. Oh...and Ruger told me that the trigger was within specs, so they wouldn't lighten it or take the creep out of it. And Ruger did say that.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jhilde
Just ordered my new 1-S in 45-70 tonight! I like the Alexander Henry fore end and the front sling swivel on the barrel--we just got back up here to cold northern Indiana from Christmas in Louisiana [ we are planning to move down there] and the guys at the range in Slidell said that they use the "primitive" calibers; 45-70, .444 etc on hogs and it has to be a single shot so for me, as a confirmed Ruger no 1 fan, it was a no-brainer. Out of the five Ruger no 1's I've owned, only one of them was not real accurate-They are extremely tough, well made and quite often the wood is exceptionally attractive. I'm thinking I'll get another in .243 to round out my collection. You have to learn to tell the guys you meet at the firing range that they are not for sale--I think I've finally learned how to politely say "Sorry, but I'm going to hang on to this one"----Mr Bugs and Bows, hope you had a merry Christmas------John
Sure did, thanks John. Happy New Year to you and yours.
Ric
Old 12-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry for you misfortune but I don't own one yet.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Spike

I bought a Ruger 1-V in .25-06 years ago. With factory loads, 2.5" to 3" groups were the norm. I started working up loads for it, and with two separate handloads, it would shoot sub .5" groups.

Being a single shot, bullets could be seated out far enough to nearly touch the lands, which helped the accuracy.

I used benchrest dies, tried neck-turning on a Forster trimmer, used CCI BR2 primers and every other trick I could. Ended up shooting great.

Based on my experience, the Ruger No. 1 is a great rifle for the handloader looking to experiment to get the greatest accuracy. They are great rifles.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Spike

I don't reload yet, so I'm a little worried about the No. 1.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

... I've owned two of them. No longer have them. Wouldn't produce the type of accuracy I expect from a gun of that class. I MAY try another one someday in 6mm or .243... 1V.... but I'll buy a new one... I'm afraid to get one off the used rack for obvious reasons...
Old 12-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
as far as 1 1/2" at fifty yards Ruger didn't say that.
Oh yes they did.....and to me personally.....you squeezebag little liar!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Vapodog
Oh yes they did.....and to me personally.....you squeezebag little liar!!!
i have a e-mail from ruger to back up vapo so he aint bs'n us at all. dont get me wrong i love my ruger no.1 but it is a very very picky rifle.

i wouldnt call it a everymans rifles but if a shooter can learn to troubleshoot a rifle properly (something i thought i knew before owning a no. 1) its a absolute dream gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.