Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I just got a reason to buy a nice gun >

I just got a reason to buy a nice gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I just got a reason to buy a nice gun

Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I just got a reason to buy a nice gun

we put a offer in on a house in florida and should know if we will be moving there tomorrow.

I looked up the florida hunting and fishing laws and dates and two things caught my eye one the crazy long seasons second I can hunt with a high power rifle and now have a reason to buy said rifle I planned on in march, though my plan was a 308 ar15 not sure thats the way to go.

So I need a rifle for hunting that will do long target shots 500+ yards and deer shots out to 300 give or take some.

thinking a 30.06 but am open to other rounds.

Also I am a semi auto fan but am fine going bolt, I have wanted a nice bolt gun for some time.

Do you think with a dpms 308 ar and a good scope I could do 500 on paper and 300 on a deer?

Also give me your recommendations on a bolt or semi hunting rifle I can do 1000 on the gun stripped without pushing into my general hunting budget and a scope budget do not want to end up with a 1400 gun and a 50 dollar rim fire scope
Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

7MM RM will do everything you were asking.....................

Here is what I use;

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=107528

With

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-4...le-scopes.html

However; if this is going to be your first (and maybe only) high powered rifle, then perhaps a .30-06 would be a better choice.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

The answer to your question depends on a few more factors.
1) How sensitive to recoil are you?
2) How experienced in high powered rifles are you?
3) What will you be going after for hunting, or will this be a target rifle?

The AR 10 will get the job done well, across the board, but you'll lose a little accuracy at longer ranges in comparison to a bolt gun.
However, it is quite refreshing to have an instant follow up shot available without having to manually rack a round...
Old 12-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Spike

I don't know where you will be hunting in Fla., but unless you're on a cattle pasture, its hard to see a deer at more than 200 in the palmetto's. As for the Ar-10, you'll have to make sure you've got a 5rd magazine for it....here in Fla. you're not allowed to have more than a 5 shot capacity in semi-autos.
30-06, 308, 300mag.....bigger or smaller.....I've used a bunch of them here, and they'll all do what you need. Just make sure you save enough for a GOOD scope.....foggy mornings and hazey evenings play havoc on glare.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

to answer all your questions at once here goes.

I have shot a few rifles, mainly the 30 30 I had in ky and AR15s, never shot a bolt rifle, put I am very comfortable with guns.
I can deal with recoil, I had no issue with the 30 30 or my muzzleloader with 150 grains of power.

I checked and dpms has a 4 round listed for 44 bucks with a 6 week wait remington also has a 5 round mag for the r 25

will mainly be hunting deer, if I remember from my trips down a few years back they have some hogs in part of the state as well
Old 12-06-2010, 03:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also read on remingtons site that there r 25 will accept the dpms wing type mags so I am guessing the dmps will take the r 25 mags, the r 25 comes with the 4 round mag
Old 12-06-2010, 03:33 AM
Spike

If your looking for mostly whitetail and are going to be shooting 200+ then look into: 270(Win, WSM, Wthby), 7MM Mag, 300 Win Mag(WSM). Any of those calibers or their variants will easily get the job done.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, all of the 7mm and 300 mag recommendations. Good lord, a bid deer in Florida is 160 pounds. A .243 will get the job done well beyond what you are asking about.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

do not disagree, but there are reasons for a big cal. 1 with my gun list this rifle will the only one I buy in the next few years, my hope is to do a elk or bear hunt in 2012 or so, needing a new rifle then would only delay that. 2 I will be doing a ky hunt in 2011 or 2012. IF I go AR it will double as a home defense gun. to me the .223 is to small and the 243 ant much bigger

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Wow, all of the 7mm and 300 mag recommendations. Good lord, a bid deer in Florida is 160 pounds. A .243 will get the job done well beyond what you are asking about.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Spike

Default Rifle?

It sounds to me as though you are set on an AR type . If that is the case be sure to get the 24" barrel if you intend to shoot 500yds with
any regularity. If a 30/30 and muzzle loader are your experience base
you are in for a real awakening. Long-range shooting skill is a skill
that comes only with practice,practice,practice. If you don't reload
this will become an" expensive" pursuit also.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!