Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
sighting in Savage 220F edited: results! >

sighting in Savage 220F edited: results!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sighting in Savage 220F edited: results!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Spike

Default sighting in Savage 220F edited: results!

So I shot my Savage 220F slug gun for the first time today. Took it in to get bore sighted first. At 50 yards I was pretty much dead on but clipped the left side of the target (6", with a hair over 1" group). Leaving the gun steady on target I adjusted the sight until the crosshairs were in the middle of my 50yrd shots. Next group of 3 was almost perfect, about .75" left and .75" high (and the group was just a hair over1"). I made a slight change to bring it right, and then went out to 100 yards. First group of 3 at 100 were centered at bullseye and about 2.5". Not too bad I was hoping for sub 2" groups but I'll live with that. Also wanted to go roughly by how Randy Wakeman sighted his in in his review, 2.69" high at 100 which equates to a center of body hold from 0 to 163 yards which should be most all my shots. So I crank it up 2.75" worth of clicks and fire one last 3 shot group. Appears to be centered about 2.5" high but my grouping was poorer at about 3.5" so its hard to tell. Only have 6 shots left of ammo and want to save those for hunting in case I can't find any more so I stopped there (can't beleive I just spent about $50 worth to sight it in) and it appeared to be were I wanted it, just a bit dissapointed with the final group.

Oh and I was waiting about 5 minutes between groups, and using 3" Federal Barnes Expander tipped. Gun is equipped with Bushnell 3-9x40 4200 Elite, secured with Warne Maximas and Weaver 402M bases each turned inward.

So my next question is about my method... and admittedly it was a bit windy out, with the wind at my back mostly. I was using the Lead Sled and had two sets of two straw bales with a piece of 3/4" subfloor between them like a table (it was about 2.5'x5'). My issue is with the led sled, I cannot hold the gun in a natural position. With the rear leg of the Lead Sled right at the end of the table I can't get my head close enough to the scope (my body is against the table). I have to turn my chair around backwards, sit in the chair on my knees, and kind of lean over the table to make contact with my shoulder and be able to have my eye close enough to the scope. I just dont see how one could use a bench rest like the led sled and not have this issue? My worry is holding it differently going to throw off my aim? If I get some more sabots I'll try again without the led sled just holding it hand held but on the table. I find out hunting about 1/3rd of my shots atleast are completely free hand and maybe as much as 2/3 are on a shooting rail (treestand) or laying on ground or with my mono-shooting rest thingy.

Thanks for any advice, just want to make sure to do this one right.

Last edited by ol eagle eyes; 11-24-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Spike

Default Savage 220f

As much as I wanted to hunt with the 3" Barnes tipped expanders neither one of my 220f Savages would shoot a decent group with these sabots. I went with the 3" Remington accutips because they were so much more accurate out of my two Savages.

We took three deer during shotgun season with the accutips all pass throughs with massive blood trails. The longest shot was 140 yds,the shortest about 25 yds no deer went farther then 40 yds after being shot.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Spike

Well I have been looking for the accutips for weeks and have not been able to find any. I will try them when I can, but too late now for this hunting season.

Assuming my methods are good, Every single shot I have made except the first two after bore sighting would have been a dead deer, so I am not too worried about it. Just want to make sure I am not doing a big no no the way I sighted it in, I mean leaning over the table and all. After calling around some more I did find one place that has some Fed expanders so if I can get some more of those today I'll try and shoot this afternoon, otherwise next time I'll hold the gun will be in mondays gun season (working thur-sun).
Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Spike

Ok todays results were much better. No wind and I think I figured the Lead Sled issue out. Actually it was pretty simple I dont know why I didnt think of it earlier. Instead of facing the table perpendicular (sitting behind table) I rotated it and sat beside it. That way I could get in a natural shooting position. I also filled up some gallon size ziplocks with sand and weighted the rest down some too.

I set the target back out to 100, shot a so-so group that seemed a tad high so I made one final adjustment down, put on a new target and one final group. Every shot but 1 was touching, although strangely in a perfect line. The one that went high was high by about the same width as my group so not to worried about that one. It didnt happen unless there is a pic right? So I attached a pic of my group of 4 in a line and 1 a bit high.

I was planning on being 2.69" high and I think before my last adjustment I was there, but I cranked it down slightly. Its still good enough I am not going to touch it.
Attached Thumbnails sighting in Savage 220F edited: results!-600img_2206.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah I would leave it alone