Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 For the short magnum fans. >

For the short magnum fans.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

For the short magnum fans.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default For the short magnum fans.

I just read that Tikka and Kimber will be chambering rifles for these cartriges. People can call them hype or what ever but when companies like these two start chambering rifles for the short mags there just might be something to them. I believe Kimber specifically made a rifle especially for the WSM' s

Savage will also be chambering rifles for the Remngton SAUM cartriges.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:31 AM

Default RE: For the short magnum fans.

Savage has been chambering for BOTH the SAUM and WSM for some time now and both are available to consumers.

Kimber has introduced a new model specifically for the WSM cartrdiges. The model 8400 is offered in wood-stocked, blued models and late in 2003, a kevlar-stocked stainless steel model will become available. A left-handed version of the model 8400 Classic is available.

Tikka is offering a new T-3 model in 270WSM and 300WSM. Weatherby has added the 300WSM to their Vanguard lineup.

This makes eight gun makers chambering for the WSM line and three for the SAUM line.Getting harder and harder to dismiss the short mags as a here today gone tomorrow fad all the time.The 270 and 300WSM have both broke into the top 25 die sales nationwide also to give some indication of there increasing popularity.The 338WSM which will be winchesters next release should also be a winner with a waiting market for a larger caliber in the short mag line for bigger game.This market isn' t being driven by hype as often claimed but by sales and lots of them.Gun makers like Ruger,Savage,Howa,Tikka,Kimber,and Weatherby aren' t in it for the hype...............their in it for the sales and money!

woods
Old 07-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know? What is the big deal about them anyway? Sure, they are cool but is it really that big a deal to have a short action over a long action? Is it mostly the weight savings of the rifle? I just don' t get what the big fanfare is about. An extra 1/2" of travel on the bolt seems pretty meaningless to me.

Not trying to offend anyone. I came real close to buying a 300 WSM. Just trying to figure out why they are such a big deal. Maybe eveyone is just excited about something new? I dunno...
Old 07-09-2003, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

my dad has a new 300 wsm. the reason he bought his was because it has less recoil than a 300 mag but still has the same or similar power.I currently reload for his gun and have found some outstandig accuracy.I think it is because it has less recoil and he doesnt flinch, or it could be just the browning rifles trigger and fit.If you havent shot one put it on your to do list for this summer before you go hunting and i think you' ll find out what the craziness is all about
Old 07-09-2003, 04:40 AM

I believe the recoil is about equal to the long action magnums myself.The tiny bit you save from slightly less powder is lost with the slightly lighter weight and shorter gun and they both are a wash as far as recoil.Same case with the 7mm short and long also.Since the recoil charts don' t take this lighter gun into the factor it seems to show less recoil,but when you figure a 1/2# lighter gun into the equation the recoil difference just isn' t there.

woods
Old 07-09-2003, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

it seems odd to me though that my wife will shoot my dads 300wsm all day long but i give her my 7mm and she shoots it once and shes done because of the bruised shoulder.No matter if she shoots factory loads or my reloads,which i might add are not even max loads.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:45 AM

There are many variables in felt recoil from a given gun.Recoil pad type and thickness as well as stock design,composition,drop,and LOP and overall gun weight all can help determine a given guns precieved recoil levels.Recoil velocity as well as recoil energy can come into play also.My statement is simply that the slightly less recoil that short magnum makers claim because of slightly less powder burned is negated by the fact that short action guns will be slightly lighter in weight even with equal length barrels and this will equal out any difference.Sometimes two different brand guns with equal weight will be night and day different in recoil because of stock design and the recoil pads abilities to dampen precieved recoil,that is another issue from the point I' m making though.

woods
Old 07-09-2003, 08:43 AM
bigcountry

Has anybody did a real comparison with thier chronos in Std Dev. of alot of the long action calibers and Short action Caliber? I did and do. And I will tell you these short actions do burn more effieciently, and seem less finicky than my long actions. Now this doesn' t mean I going to get rid of my long actions. My 300RUm has some large speads. About 40fps speads. I have tried 4 different powders. My 308' s get around 11fps with varget. All my friends at the range get simular results out of a thier WSM' s. Yes, it does mean something to me who loves to shoot 500 yards for fun and target.

Old 07-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a 300 win mag and a 7 Rem mag that your happy with don' t run down to the local gunstore to buy one of these. If your in the market for a new rifle they are very worthy of consideration. More and more manufacturers are chambering these cartridges so their long term survival seems very secure. I find that they(short mags) in general are not finnicky at all when handloading for them and their factory ballistics(WSM' s) usually match published velocities exactly. I have also found that they are more accurate than the comparable long mag . My only gripe with them is feeding, they will not feed as smoothly as a comparable long mag at least in a Model 70 didn' t do badly in an Abolt I owned. That would be the extent of my gripes with them. Another point to consider is that long action mag velocities are usually rated with a 26" barrel...if you compared apples with apples(something a lot of these critics don' t do) and chronographed them both with 24" barrels you would see there is not an anthill of difference between short and long that any game animal will ever notice. Yes it is nice to pack around a shorter rifle , carrying around 9 lb magnums with 26" barrels gets a little old after awhile especially when the most one can gain is 100 fps ....not worth it in my book.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:03 PM

Don' t have any short mags yet -- wouldn' t rule it out; however, .....

If anyone who wants to use their rifle for Dangerous Game situation, then having absolutely positively smooth and reliable feeding is a top, top, top consideration. When you HAVE to have that second shot things MUST perform.

Of course, if you are only after big game and you want to bust that 7x7 bull elk a with a quick second shot, then you may have similar feelings regarding reliable feeding. Anyone else with any similar experience with short mag feeding problems versus long cartridges?

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM

Quick Reply: For the short magnum fans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.