HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - For the short magnum fans.
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2003, 08:57 AM
oldelkhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: For the short magnum fans.

If you have a 300 win mag and a 7 Rem mag that your happy with don' t run down to the local gunstore to buy one of these. If your in the market for a new rifle they are very worthy of consideration. More and more manufacturers are chambering these cartridges so their long term survival seems very secure. I find that they(short mags) in general are not finnicky at all when handloading for them and their factory ballistics(WSM' s) usually match published velocities exactly. I have also found that they are more accurate than the comparable long mag . My only gripe with them is feeding, they will not feed as smoothly as a comparable long mag at least in a Model 70 didn' t do badly in an Abolt I owned. That would be the extent of my gripes with them. Another point to consider is that long action mag velocities are usually rated with a 26" barrel...if you compared apples with apples(something a lot of these critics don' t do) and chronographed them both with 24" barrels you would see there is not an anthill of difference between short and long that any game animal will ever notice. Yes it is nice to pack around a shorter rifle , carrying around 9 lb magnums with 26" barrels gets a little old after awhile especially when the most one can gain is 100 fps ....not worth it in my book.