Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How much of an investment to start reloading?? >

How much of an investment to start reloading??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How much of an investment to start reloading??

Old 07-08-2003, 09:32 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: How much of an investment to start reloading??

Guys, I have loaded for years without a handprimer. Why again does one need one. My primers seat fine. Maybe I am missing something

Old 07-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don' t HAVE to have one, they are just really nice.

1. You can feel how the primer is seated.
2. Much faster/easier.
3. Less chance of crushing the primer.
4. Kind of fun to do it this way.

To be honest I think I have only used the chucker to load 1-2 primers before I went out and bought a hand-primer. That was enough to show me why it is almost a necessity. Borrow one sometime from a buddy and you' ll see.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:25 AM

Unless you shot several different cartridges or several hundred rounds of the same cartridge reloading won' t really save you money. It is fun and you can try several different bullets that might not be available in factory ammo. I would start out with the Lee O-frame kit (Challenger) it is around $70.00 that way if reloading is not your thing you won' t have a much invested in it.

It is very addicting and when you start adding extra presses and a progressive,I am certain I don' t save any money.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

The Rockchucker kit comes with the RCBS hand primer. I like to say I " saved" money to justify the purchase. You really don' t save money you just get more toys and get to shoot more often!
Old 07-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys, this has been a very big help and it is much appreciated, just what I was looking for........I' m gonna give reloading a whirl, but not until X-Mas I think. I might not save money doing this but you can bet your butt that' s the angle I' m gonna pitch at the wife why I need more " stuff" . .......well she doesn' t exactly call it " stuff" []
thanks again
Old 07-09-2003, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I might not save money doing this but you can bet your butt that' s the angle I' m gonna pitch at the wife why I need more " stuff"
You catch on quick. I always remind my wife about how much money I' m ' saving' . Its really no different than her ' saving' money by spending it at sales at her favorite department store.[:-]
Old 07-10-2003, 06:26 PM

You don' t save money...You can just shoot more rounds. I would also suggest the sinclair bullet comparator with a good mic. I dropped my loads to around a quarter 5 shot at 100M. Find COL where you engage the rifling, back off .005, and measure with the sinclair. Every bullet is the same then.

Just bought some new powder, I can' t wait to see what it does, and I got some Moly coat, gonna check that out, and I got some new Norma Brass and I will see what that does, and ...OH, yeah that new primer, and ....... and......... and.....then I gotta get some new type bullets for the .243, spome for varmits some for deer....and there is that new....

Have Fun!
Dana