Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 How to start reloading >

How to start reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

How to start reloading

Old 08-31-2006, 08:05 PM

Default How to start reloading

I am interested in begining to reload for a 45-70 to save money and just for fun. I have never done any reloading before and have no idea where to start. What equipment do i need to start reloading? I found this kit and wondered whatelse is needed on top of it. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=149097

Any other advice? thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to start reloading

Istarted withthat same kit and still use most of it 5 years latter. I would suggest though that you try to find someone in your area that already reloads to mentor you through the initial learning curve. There are things that experienced reloaders can teach you that will help save time and money as you get into this hobby.

Many will say you need to spend more money for better quality equipment but in my opinion, that will come in time as you get some rounds under your belt. I do think the Lee powder measure is the weakest tool in the kit but that being said, I am still using mine after several 1000 rounds and am just now starting to think about a replacement. The rest of the kit works just fine and will last for many years.

You of course will need some other things that are caliber specific such as dies, trimmer studs, bullets, powder, and primers. I would also suggest getting a powder trickler to use to tweek the powder level on the scale to the correct level, I do this on all my rifle loads but not neccessarily all my pistol loads.

There are other things that you may want to get over time but they are not immediately needed to get started. The one exception would be a good reloading manual, or 3 or 5....

Good luck and see if you can find someone near you who would be willing to share the knowledge.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finding someone who can help you is good advice. If you can't find someone to assist, then at least buy a quality reloading manual (you'll need one or more anyway) and study up on the section that covers the steps to reloading. That's what I did (read the Nosler manual, that is) when I got started......plus I asked a lot of questions on internet sites like this.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy this book "forty years with the 45-70", author is Paul Matthews. The book is not hard to find. The guy is a genius. You will not be sorry, Tom. Also before you buy any equipment, buy 2 or 3 reloading manuals, and read cover to cover. If your true interest is 45-70 you should also buy The Lyman cast bullet handbook, because I am sure you will probably start casting some day(more fun and more satisfaction than hand loading), Tom.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Timmey9

I am interested in begining to reload for a 45-70 to save money and just for fun. I have never done any reloading before and have no idea where to start. What equipment do i need to start reloading? I found this kit and wondered whatelse is needed on top of it. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=149097

Any other advice? thanks
Well, Senor, here's what it says, on that very web site you posted:

Add a set of dies to this kit and you'll have all the equipment needed to reload virtually any cartridge. This convenient package is built around the sturdy Lee Challenger Single Stage Press. With its compound leverage, rugged cast aluminum "O" frame design and 4-1/4" of clearance, it is more than able to reload even the largest cartridges.

Kit includes Press, Auto-Prime, 11 Auto-Prime Shellholders, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, 2 oz case lube, Cutter and Lock Stud (Case Length Gage and Shellholder sold separately), powder scale, powder measure and powder funnel.

It looks to me like all you need to have, in addition to this, isa set of .45/70 dies. So add a three-die set in .45/70, and you're "all set"!!

In addition, you need to get a couple of good reloading manuals to study before you start reloading! I suggest the Lyman Manual because Lyman has no bullets or powder tosell, so they give it to you straight on bullets & powder!! , and at least one other like Nosler, Hodgdon, Speer, or Barnes.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Lee doesn't sell any powder or bullets either. Try their book too.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Modern reloading by richard lee comes with the kit. It has a great deal of info about cast bullets use and making.

mello
Old 09-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

I got started in reloading when I got out of the Marines. Basically, right after boot camp, I went home on leave and bought a RCBS reloading kit for something close to $200. I read everything that I could my hands on concerning the actual steps in reloading. I've been doing it off and on for the last 19 years with the same Rockchucker press ever since. Now with the advent of the internet, it is much easier to learn without the mistakes.

One thing to remember is that a bit of mechanical inclination is a favorable trait and greatly simplifies the learning process of reloading. Read and keep reading.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:07 AM

Find someone that know's what they're doing. Get that person to show you everything, at least twice, then watch you as you load.Don't buy cheap garbage.

Quick Reply: How to start reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.