Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons >

Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons

Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons

I'm kinda' starting over with my hunting rifle collection....meaning I've outfitted my wife and son for hunting with my Remington 700 .30-06 and Ruger M77 .270.
So, it's now time for me to purchase my deer/hog rifle.....and I MIGHT be able to go elk hunting for the first time in 2012.
I've bought and sold a lot of rifles, but have never owned a Ruger no. 1 and I keep coming back to the no. 1B in .300 Win. Mag.
I'm still trying to decide if I'm more inclined towards the beauty of the wood/blued steel or the stainless/laminate model.

This would be HUNTING rifle, but being new to reloading, I know I'm going to want to tweak every drop of accuracy that I can out of it.

The rifle just seems so classy! A local gunsmith I know told me that the tolerences that Ruger makes their no. 1 with are almost second to none.

So, anyone who uses a Ruger no. 1, please give me any pros or cons you've encountered with it as a hunting rifle.
I'm thinking that .300 Winny pushing a 165gr.-200gr. Accubond, Partition, Ballistic Tip, or Barnes TTXS would cover a VERY LARGE spectrum of my hunting.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SCHOOLCRAFT
Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

i picked up a number 1ab last year in 30-06 and it really took some work to get it accurate. i got some good loads worked up for it but my dealer insisted that they send it to the warrenty center to be worked on and when it came back it became a tack driver. at 300 yards i could average a 1 1/2 group, to me that is amazing accuracy from a pencil barrel. the paper stating the "repairs" from the warrenty center only stated "barrel tuning" but when i looked under the forearm i could see the had glass bedded the tip that contacted the barrel. the rifle is still VERY touchy with what ammo a choose but it seems to like poly tip bullets in the lighter weight range, especially hornady 150 sst's. i also would like the safety redesigned because every time i shoot it, the safety grazes my thumb pretty good.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

i owned a no1 in 25-06 quite a while ago with a bull barrel from the factory...that little gun was fun to shoot and it was a tack driver.i ended up selling it cause i got twice what i paid for it...and here we dont do alot of long shooting but ill bet the guys still got it...i think its the best gun ruger makes
Old 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Owned a few of them. Still use the 270 Weatherby magnum for most of my shooting, gophers included. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fantastic rifle choice. Very classy. I would never consider anything but blued and walnut for that rifle. Tom.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've considered one as well, for the reasons you mentioned plus the barrel is longer because you don't have an action to deal with...

I've just never heard many good things about the accuracy...

Also...Is the trigger adjustable on these??? I'm picky about my triggers...
Old 08-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear quite a few comments at the range on the #1's. It seems that you can get a real shooter or one that needs lots of work to be accurate. I don't know if it's a particular model #1 that in inherently inaccurate or just the occasional gun that's not just right when it leave the factory.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I've considered one as well, for the reasons you mentioned plus the barrel is longer because you don't have an action to deal with...

I've just never heard many good things about the accuracy...

Also...Is the trigger adjustable on these??? I'm picky about my triggers...
the triggers have 2 screws, one for over travel and the other is supposed to be for weight. its not a good feeling trigger either. other older beefy trigger had adjustments for travel, takeup and weight. most serious no.1 shooters pick up the moyers trigger which is made like the old beefy trigger.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have one #1 in the Tropical version in 405 Win. I too always liked the looks of the #1. Mine is the stainless/laminate. Looks sharp, shoots great but on the downside, it is a tad heavy in this version. Probably more than one would want to tote all day up and down mtn sides chasing elk. And as for the one shot, I've carried bolts, pumps and levers in the woods with extra mags/ammo and in almost 45 years, with all the deer, antelope, bear etc I've shot, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I needed a second shot. And never where I wouldn't have had the time to reload the #1. If you desire the #1 - go get it.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

only problem I see is, single shot in .300win.mag?

gonna use this on dangerous game? 1 shot? might be fine for what you wanna do, esp if you have something else for dangerous game etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.