HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
schoolcraft
Fork Horn

Default Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons

I'm kinda' starting over with my hunting rifle collection....meaning I've outfitted my wife and son for hunting with my Remington 700 .30-06 and Ruger M77 .270.
So, it's now time for me to purchase my deer/hog rifle.....and I MIGHT be able to go elk hunting for the first time in 2012.
I've bought and sold a lot of rifles, but have never owned a Ruger no. 1 and I keep coming back to the no. 1B in .300 Win. Mag.
I'm still trying to decide if I'm more inclined towards the beauty of the wood/blued steel or the stainless/laminate model.

This would be HUNTING rifle, but being new to reloading, I know I'm going to want to tweak every drop of accuracy that I can out of it.

The rifle just seems so classy! A local gunsmith I know told me that the tolerences that Ruger makes their no. 1 with are almost second to none.

So, anyone who uses a Ruger no. 1, please give me any pros or cons you've encountered with it as a hunting rifle.
I'm thinking that .300 Winny pushing a 165gr.-200gr. Accubond, Partition, Ballistic Tip, or Barnes TTXS would cover a VERY LARGE spectrum of my hunting.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SCHOOLCRAFT