Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons >

Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons

Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The #1's are wonderful rifles. The only con I can think of is the cost.

I have 2 #1's in 220 swift and 30-06. I also have 2 NEF's in .223 and .270. The NEF's will hang with the Ruger's all day long for 1/4 the price. I did have to have the triggers lightened on the NEF's...but nothing else.

The Rugers are much prettier and classier, if that's your thing. Their resale value is also incredible.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

only problem I see is, single shot in .300win.mag?

gonna use this on dangerous game? 1 shot? might be fine for what you wanna do, esp if you have something else for dangerous game etc...

salukipv1

This won't be used on dangerous game....well, unless you count a ticked off hog. Just deer, hogs, and a possible elk hunt in the next couple years.
I know I don't NEED the .300 Winny for the deer/hogs, but I've always wanted a rifle in that caliber.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think #1's are classy as can be. There are several styles (1-A, 1-B, 1-S, 1-V, etc.). My last one was a 1-B .270. It was a shooter, but too heavy for caliber IMO. My top pick is a 1-S (medium sporter). Being 1 shot is of little concern unless it's for dangerous critters. With practice, reloading can become quite acceptably fast. Sometimes their triggers aren't the best (can be remedied) or they require some fiddling to make shoot tiny groups. Additionally, scope mounting can be adventurous (usually a long-tubed choice is best or at worst, an extension ring(s) may be required). Past all that, they are Ruger's best offering IMO. I've been eyeing a 300 Winny myself at a LGS. Perhaps, if he will come off the price a bit, I'll grab it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Spike

the only down side if you can call it one is that it is a single shot...just so happens i prefer the single shot so i have several of them and love them all
Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

I have a 1B in .30'06 that I love. It took a while to find a load that it likes but now it puts 5 shots into 1.25" with a 165 gr Accubond and H4350. I have a good friend that has a 1B in 7 mm STW that was immediately accurate with a 160 gr Accubond and H1000. Accuracy can be hit or miss but reloading helps.
Pros - pretty as they come; great fit and finish
Cons - heavy; possible accuracy concerns
Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the #1's - have 5 here currently but will certainly add more. IMO, they're a rifle with class and style not that of some new whiz-bang design. They're a rifle for a hunter that takes care in what he hunts and makes the most of that one shot rather than relying on the popular 'spray and pray' & 'get the lead out' methods many seem to be turning to.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:55 PM
Spike

Red - I just purchased a No 1 in 270 Weatherby (nib)
anxious to hear from you about loads to start with
adios
Redfish
Old 07-04-2020, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Redfish, welcome to HNI! This thread is nearly ten years old. And while some of these guys are still active, several are not. So don't be surprised if you don't get replies here. Although redgreen is still active here.

I've wondered in the past...redgreen? The comedian?

Hope to see you post more on the forum.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 07-04-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

When I am not hunting/shooting with my muzzle loaders, my Ruger 1-S in 45/70 is my go to centerfire rifle. I prefer single shots, and have never felt handicapped when using one. I don't hunt dangerous game, so a quick follow up shot is not an issue for me. Most of the game I have shot over the last 40 years has only required one well placed shot to do the job.
As an alternative to the Ruger #1, take a look at the Winchester/Browning model 78 high walls. They are classic guns that come in quite a few assorted calibers.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:58 PM
Spike

Jake - thanks for the warm greeting. I’m liking what I’m reading so far.
Hoping for tips from folks with knowledge/experience with the 270 Weatherby in a Ruger No 1.
Planning to take my new, unfixed Ruger out for a spin this week.
Ammo certainly isn’t cheap but I can’t see scrimping on the “terminal end” of a hunting rig.
Thanks again for the welcome.
adios
David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.