Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.44 Mag Revolver . . . Taurus or Ruger? >

.44 Mag Revolver . . . Taurus or Ruger?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.44 Mag Revolver . . . Taurus or Ruger?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

JMHO,

Tarus No= personal dislikes
Ruger Yes=Strong,(Can shoot hotter stuff than Smith),Most don't feel good in my hand.
S&W yes=Not as strong as Ruger (shoot a lot of hot stuff and might get sloppy after a time)Never touched one that did not fit me well.Can get one reasonable on www.gunsamerica.com. Don't forget the .41 Magnum .Ruger or S&W? Me S&W.Ruger does come with mount and rings .I use a S&W Model 657 in .41 Mag. Have shot deer @ 75yds with open sight.(7 1/2 barrel).So I guess I'm trying to say save your money untill you can get the Smith. BTW Ask Ruger Mike.............
Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's already been suggested, but I'll drag it into the open anyway.

You will most likely use any double-action in single-action mode when you're hunting, simply because the heavy double-action trigger pull doesn't exactly promote accuracy the way a single-action does.

A handgun in a hunting role is used differently than is a handgun in the defensive role. Hunting shots typically take place at significantly longer distances than defensive shooting does. As well, watch the guys shooting the DA autos next time at the range. If there's a "flyer", it'll most often be the first, double-action round that goes off-target.

Even if you purchase the DA revolver, I would encourage you to use it in single-action mode for hunting. I've used a double-action Ruger Redhawk hunting for years, never has it crossed my mind not to bring the hammer back with my thumb before I fire it.

Single-action, when used for hunting, is NOT a liability.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Ruger is an extremely strong and reliable revolver. I have big bore handguns from a few different makers, and almost always end up shooting a .44 or .45 single action. I almost never shoot my S&W 629 double action. I normally carry a Blackhawk in the field.
The Blackhawk is so simple and rugged that it is a safe bet that a used gun will be in the same condition as a new gun, except for holster wear. I would buy the Blackhawk.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

I think all your choices are good. The thing I like about Taurus is a lifetime warranty. I've had no problems with my .38 or .357 . They are usually less expensive as well.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hands down I'd take the Ruger! I have the Super Redhawk, but the Black Hawk would be just as good for hunting!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Banned

Nice pic's! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Then Ruger it is!!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! good choice you'll enjoy it
Old 08-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I loved my Super Blackhawk. I unfortunately had to sell it a few years back, and wish I had it back. Totally bombproof. No one ever uses a double action hunting, but Rugers Redhawk .44 is a fine gun also. Many prefer the heavier barrel wt. forward of it over the lighter single action barrel.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I like Rugers
Attached Thumbnails .44 Mag Revolver . . . Taurus or Ruger?-dscn19091341.jpg   .44 Mag Revolver . . . Taurus or Ruger?-dscn19121344.jpg  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by richwrench
I think all your choices are good. The thing I like about Taurus is a lifetime warranty. I've had no problems with my .38 or .357 . They are usually less expensive as well.

Ruger doesn't give a written warranty. I have known allot of people including myself that Ruger repaired the gun at no charge. I had a 15+ year old Redhawk 44 practically rebuilt for no charge. If it's been abused or altered that's a different story. Ruger does stand behind their products no matter how old it is.

Ruger's are made in the USA. The Taurus is made in Brazil, buy American and keep our people working. I owned one Taurus a few years back. First time out I saw a dangerous defect. The cylinder would not lock up on three of the chambers with the hammer back. It went back to Taurus. When it came back it was traded in on S&W the same day. I would never own another Taurus. Check other forums and read the complaints about Taurus and their customer service. Another point that's already been brought up Rugers are probably the strongest guns made. They can handle most anything they are fed.They hold up allot better then S&W's with a steady diet of magnum loads. I'm not bashing Smith I have several of the older ones for the 1970's.Pre lock of course.

The only complaint I have with Rugers is their triggers could be a little better. Now days with all the ambulance chasers out there you don't get the lighter trigger you once did from the factories. A SBH is a fine single action and it will probably out last you if taken care of. I have both S/A and D/A Ruger's and all of them have been great guns. Sure a bad on will slip through once in awhile. It's nice Knowing Ruger will repair it if it's 10 years down the road or tomorrow. If it's a serious problem Ruger will replace it. I know they did one of mine that had a frame issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.