Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.44 Mag Revolver . . . Taurus or Ruger? >

.44 Mag Revolver . . . Taurus or Ruger?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.44 Mag Revolver . . . Taurus or Ruger?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Banned

Default .44 Mag Revolver . . . Taurus or Ruger?

My budget will allow me to get either a Taurus or Ruger. Wish I could get a S&W or Colt. But...........
So what do you think of each, why, and which model would you recommend. Barrrel length, etc?
I'll be using primarily for big game hunting. Will put a scope on it. Will "play" with .44 SP carts for plinking and home defense.
I'm leaning towards Ruger just because I've owned several guns/rifles over the years and love them, and know little or nothing about Taurus.
In Ruger I'm leaning towards the Super Blackhawk~Bisley Hunter.
In Taurus . . . ????

Last edited by dig4gold; 08-02-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm looking for a .44 myself, so glad you asked...

I've yet to check them out but I'm leaning towards that Taurus vs. the ruger, both have around the 4" barrel, the taurus is ported, not sure the ruger is.

So unless there is something I don't like about the Taurus that's the one I plan to get.

I know everyone is crazy about S&W, but I'm not crazy about them just yet...plus at twice the price? I like that it's American made.

I was looking at the 4" for sidearm protection while bowhunting in grizzly country, for hunting...I think I like that Ruger...from what I've seen/read.

Last edited by salukipv1; 08-02-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned

The Ruger I'm looking at is single action, which I can live with. The Taurus' are double/single some of them. Porting sure makes a gun LOUD!! But can reduce recoil.
Tough one. I may just buy the Taurus (if favorable responses come), just to say I had one!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dig4gold
In Ruger I'm leaning towards the Super Blackhawk~Bisley Hunter.

Lean no more, that is the choice!
I have heard good and bad reviews on the Taurus.
I have never seen a bad review on the Bisley Hunter.
I shoot both S&W and Ruger Super Blackhawk .44's
Both are awesome.

bb
Old 08-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

I am by no means an expert, but the Taurus was coming on when I first got into law enforcement (when it was still acceptable to carry a revolver). A very wise cop/competition shooter told me there were only two revolvers--S&W and Ruger. (The only pistols, apparently, were Colt and Springfield Armory). I settled on the S.A. 1911 A-1 with no regrets, but have owned 3 S&W's since-no complaints.

I have, however, been looking at a 41 for hunting recently. I don't want, since my life will not depend on it, to pay for the S&W name, so I am considering a Ruger. I have heard nothing but good about their strength and durability. I still have no experience with Taurus, but would expect the resale to be low?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

I had the same thought on re-sale myself. I do wish the Super Blackhawk was doouble action. But I can live with that.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

I forgot to mention both the S&W and Ruger SBBH are well qualified to fill the freezer.

S&W 629 240 gr. Swift A-Frame
Ruger Super Blackhawk BH 225 gr. Barnes XPB

Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys I have the new model bisley 44 mag 7 1/2 blued barrel. Very nice gun and comfortable to shoot. As for the double action there nice but most people draw the hammer back than use the double.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob great pics thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

I love those pics. Hunting with a handgun is something Ive always wanted to try. I do own a taurus revolver, though its only a 17hmr. Open sights it was the most innacurrate gun I ever picked up. Rear sight was sloppy and actually moved around. Put a red dot scope on it because I had one laying around and it drastically improved. I put a leupold 2.5 x 8 on it and shoot sage rats at 100 yards with a good rest. A buddy in Oregon bought one in 357 magnum and it shoots good open sights. But I think if I was gonna hunt big game given the options you gave Id look at the Ruger first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.