Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Short action VS Long action >

Short action VS Long action

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Short action VS Long action

Old 07-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

But at what expense in weight ( overall rifle) and recoil? There is no free lunch. Yes its faster but not terribly flatter. Ok its action is shorter losing 6 ounces but how about the extra required barrel length and heavier contour? Not to mention added muzzle blast and recoil or feeding issues.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Im not saying wsm's are useless just overrated. Everybody now believes the .270 and 30-06 are archaic, antiquted rounds of yesteryear and the "new" magnums are infinitely better. Just aggravates the tar out of me. Whats wrong with the .270 win? On game is the .270 wsm really that much better? Does it do anything the 7mm rem mag doesnt?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

RR you sir are the exception not the rule. The average gun buyer is the one I refer to. If shots over 500 yards were available to me I may be singing a different tune but O'Connor said it best in my opinion. " If the 7 mm remington magnum kills game any faster or deader than the .270 win or 7x57 then it is above my perception".
Old 07-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Everybody now believes the .270 and 30-06 are archaic, antiquted rounds of yesteryear and the "new" magnums are infinitely better.
They thought that about the 30-06 when the 300 win mag came out. Magnum performance in the same length action. Before this if you wanted a magnum you had to have a magnum length action like the 300H&H. Now you have magnum performance from a short action. It's just history repeating itself.

I, for one, am ecstatic that they come out with new cartridges and rifles to shoot them in. If it weren't for people and companies "inventing" new cartridges we wouldn't have cartridges like the......
300 win mag
Weatherby wouldn't exist at all
No .25-06, .270, .280, .338-06, 35 Whelen
The .308 and all of its offspring would have never been invented.
On and on and on and on.

Hell, we'd all be chunking spears if people weren't constantly striving to "reinvent the wheel".
Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Im all for reinventing the wheel. Just saying lets give the predecessors some credit. It does keep things interesting though, to have new configurations of the same old things.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
But at what expense in weight ( overall rifle) and recoil? There is no free lunch. Yes its faster but not terribly flatter. Ok its action is shorter losing 6 ounces but how about the extra required barrel length and heavier contour? Not to mention added muzzle blast and recoil or feeding issues.
Didn't say I like them better...I hunt with a .270 Win, I like them so much I have 3 of them...
Old 07-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Very few .270 owners have just one. Great info RR, I always say the .270 win isnt a long range round but it definitely gets the job done out to 500 or so. Ive personally shot pigs out to 450ish ( stepped off, no rangefinder) with a 140 grain hornady interlock from their light mag offering at a proclaimed 3100 fps MV. Had no different effect than my buddy next to me with a 300 wsm and a 150 partition. Both dead as door nails.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

I wish I knew where to find the popcorn smiley.....