Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Short action VS Long action >

Short action VS Long action

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Short action VS Long action

Old 06-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Agreed, not to mention the feeding issues in non crf rifles.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
with the short mags, you can now have both, short/lightweight and velocity.
Not really though, you get -1" due to the sort action but + 2" w/ the needed 24" magnum barrel.

That said, I dont know why anyone but the most dedicated long range western hunters would want a magnum cartridge these days, the ammo costs (3 years ago) alone made me sell my 7mag, and the WSMs? Those are 10$ more per box compared to regular mags, and about 20$ more than std calibers. shot to shot reloading costs, same thing. Pure waste of money IMO. my lil 7-08 is light, short, pleasant to shoot from the bench, and cost much less to shoot compared to a mag. As far as ballistics and power, the extra powder capacity is way overrated. zeroed at 140yds , im a couple inches low at 200yds and the 150gr .284 impacts doing 2200fps ,@ 200yds ,when launched at a modest 2600fps. What more do you need to kill most NA game?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Absolutely nothing, and you dont have a flinching problem or need a controlled round feed action to feed properly.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you believe in the axiom; one shot, one kill.
What does the length of the action of the rifle have to do with the killing power of the bullet when it gets to the animal?

In terms of speed, what do you think the difference is in ranking the next round ?
Not so much speed as it is not short stroking the longer cartridge in a high adrenaline and an excited condition.

In terms of weight, what do you think the difference is in a production rifle?
6-8 ounces. Not enough to matter.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was making more of the point of a short mag is a short action round, but has the velocity of LA rounds like the .270win, or .300win.mag, when comparing them to the .270wsm and .300wsm.

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Not really though, you get -1" due to the sort action but + 2" w/ the needed 24" magnum barrel.

That said, I dont know why anyone but the most dedicated long range western hunters would want a magnum cartridge these days, the ammo costs (3 years ago) alone made me sell my 7mag, and the WSMs? Those are 10$ more per box compared to regular mags, and about 20$ more than std calibers. shot to shot reloading costs, same thing. Pure waste of money IMO. my lil 7-08 is light, short, pleasant to shoot from the bench, and cost much less to shoot compared to a mag. As far as ballistics and power, the extra powder capacity is way overrated. zeroed at 140yds , im a couple inches low at 200yds and the 150gr .284 impacts doing 2200fps ,@ 200yds ,when launched at a modest 2600fps. What more do you need to kill most NA game?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
The short magnum cartridges dont kill game any faster or any deader than a 30/30. Dead is dead. If not for the "magnum" marketing craze I doubt they would be as popular as they are. The only benefit they offer over a traditional magnum is case length and Im not terribly sure thats a benefit.
I agree. The last thing the market needed was more new cartridges to sell more rifles. The gamut of cartridges today are plenty. Just look at the number of variants in 7MM that were available BEFORE the SM's came on the scene. What does the 7mm WSM bring to the table that the 284 Win. lacks?
Old 07-01-2010, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
How do you figure that? A .270 WSM will outrun a .270 Win anyday...
Not true at all for a reloader.

Tom
Old 07-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

I agree, mostly sales hype. I have been hunting the coal regions since I was a kid. The most popular rifle there was probably the lever action in 30-30 or .35 Rem. We probably would have never heard of the .270 with out magazine articles. Now with T.V. added in, I see some of the most ridicules calibers being carried for short range shooting in laurel thickets.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's really no difference as far as the shorter action being better for fast follow up shots.As others mentioned the real advantage is the lighter weight humpin up/down mountains after some smart ass goat or whatever that would enjoy a good laugh watching some fool hunter tumble on down.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe that the length or velocity should be the overall deciding factor in a hunter's choice.

I know I have always favored short carbines in a very light and handy package. And even though I own a few such weapons none are currently in a short action. But thinking about a Ruger in a Compact or Lightweight.

I can get the UltraLight in a 20" barrel in 30-06, but if I want the extremely short 16.5" barrel I have to go with a Compact which comes only in short actions.

I'll probably go with the Compact models in a short action round (probably 308) but not because of anything but the length of the overall gun. I won't worry one bit about the loss of velocity or the extra speed with which I can crank in a round that is 0.69" shorter (a short .308 compared to a long 30/06).

If I really want to lighten my load when hunting I should look to losing 20 lbs before I start skeletonizing my rifle.

I think each hunter/shooter should pick the round he really wants in a package that suits him and the round and not lose a minutes sleep over velocity or stroke length.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 07-01-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.