Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Problem Zeroing a 7mm Rem Mag. >

Problem Zeroing a 7mm Rem Mag.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Problem Zeroing a 7mm Rem Mag.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Spike

Default Problem Zeroing a 7mm Rem Mag.

I'm not sure where to put this post, but since I am preparing to go pig hunting, I'll put it here. I am fairly new to big game hunting, being a shotgun hunter most my life, and am branching out now. I own a rifle, bought a 7mm Rem Mag, so that it would be versatile and I could hunt anything I chose without needing to buy more rifles. I just put a scope on it and now I am having a hell of a time sighting it in. Here's the problem: I am a thin guy, not a lot of meat on the shoulder if you know what I mean, and this thing kicks like a mule. Every time I go to the range, by the time I put five shots through it, my shoulder hurts bad enough that I just KNOW that I am twitching as I pull the trigger. I occasionally set my mind to it and let the gun surprise me with recoil, and then the shots are pretty close. But as I try to make that fine tuning adjustment to zero it, I start twitching again. Then I have to head home again with a sore shoulder and start over next time. A friend recommended a limbsaver recoil pad, which I'll get, but I doubt that will fix the problem completely. Anyone have recommendations for protecting my shoulder without putting a huge lump of padding that would change my hold on the rifle so I can get the thing zero'd? I don't want to buy an expensive shooting jacket or vest that I'll hardly ever use just to zero the damn thing.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I suggest cutting your losses and getting something like a .270 Win .280 Rem, 7mm-08, .308.

If it hurts that bad (5 shots and have to stop) I doubt that you will ever be able to shoot it well.

The cartridges I listed are easily good to 300 yards on even big animals like elk and moose and quite a bit farther on deer and antelope. They kill just as effectively at these distances with out the recoil associated with the 7mm magnum.

Having said that the limbsaver recoil pad helps a lot. I have a 338RUM that hurt with the factory HS Precision recoil pad. I installed a Limbsaver and on that rifle and can shoot all day if I want to.

You can also add weight to the rifle.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The felt recoil is always a lot more when bench shooting.

Get a lead sled if you don't want to feel (any of) the recoil while you zero your rifle in.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

Get a good recoil pad; either Sims Limbsaver or Pachmyr.

Use reduced recoil ammo at the range.

Use both ear plugs and ear muffs when firing repeated rounds at the range.

7MM Rem Mag is a belted magnum and a great all around big game cartridge.

Most people never feel recoil when shooting at game.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

what rifle setup do you have?

I'd suggest putting those crosshairs on target and pulling that trigger slowly, and trying to get the kick to surprise you and see how you shoot.

Pull slowly and if you feel yourself jump or starting to react before the kick, stop, take a breath, relax, and try to go slow and let the gun kick surprise you.

try wearing a sweatshirt, something thick, just a tshirt alotta times will make it extra hurt, just a sweatshirt can really help.

A lead sled can certainly help/allow you to shoot a bunch of rounds and get it zeroed, but after its on I'd re-zero it without the use of the lead sled as I think a lead sled increases muzzle rise since it wont recoil as hard/much with the sled...

Certainly have the gun completely loaded, ie if it holds 4 rounds have 4 loaded...perhaps a lighter bullet weight would help, 140gr tsx instead of 160/175, what bullet weight are yous hooting? if 175, I'd def step down to 140-160 and see...if that helps any.

If you just have a solid rubber pad then yes definitely a limbsaver etc...will help, but if you already have a big squishy one, replacing one with another won't do much.

If they make'em, maybe some reduced recoil loads, buy a box and shoot some just to get comfy shooting the rifle, then try to shoot 3 good rounds for a group and get on center...

What are you going hunting for? or just trying to get on center for a first time?

Though I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes, that is an option, or having it mag-na-port ed can help recoil. Could add some lead shot, etc...into the stock, or buy a mercury recoil reducer which usually just will screw onto the stock bolt...maybe consider that, it'll add weight and I think they help with recoil in other ways too, not just by adding weight.

Last edited by salukipv1; 06-28-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are likely a number of things going on here. Yes the recoil pad will help. My suggestion is to get a different rifle. You'd be just fine with a 7mm-08, .308, .270, heck even a .243 Win can take game out to 400 yards.

So my suggestion, chalk it up as a mistake and get another rifle. If you're hard headed and don't want to go this route, then yes get a recoil pad, I'd strongly recommend a Decelerator instead of the limbsaver. If that doesn't help then I'd suggests a couple of rags in the shoulder area under your shirt.

I'd stay away from a lead sled as I've seen many of them not hit where you're aiming once you put the rifle to your shoulder. I don't own one but have seem many at the range in use.

Good Luck, I hope you decide to get another rifle.

Tom
Old 06-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The limbsaver recoil pad is certainly cheap enough to try. I have a slip over that I can move from rifle to rifle. I am recoil shy and it makes a big difference.

I have a featherweight 7 mag that kicked like a mule no matter what I did and I finally put a recoil arrestor on it. Now you can't tell the difference between it and my 243. However, you CAN NOT shoot it without hearing protection or it will harm your hearing.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well...I have to agree with the others, I hate to hear these stories as someone should have steered you in the right direction before the purchase...

You do have a couple of other options...If you know someone who reloads have them load some managed recoil or see if some Remington makes them for a 7mm Mag...

You might also try putting on a fishing vest to help absorb recoil and also make sure you are wearing hearing protection as muzzle blast will also cause flinching...

I have had to work with 3 different buddies that had the flinching habit, all shoot a .243 now and have no problem with deer size game...
Old 06-29-2010, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

The answer to your problem is a 270, or even a 243, 6mm, 260, 7-08, etc.

That, or have some rounds reloaded to a reduced level. I used to reload 308 ammo to be more like a 30/30 for my wife. I'd re-sight just before hunting season with fullhouse 308 and she never knew the difference on deer.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Spike

before you go off getting a new rifle, try the remington 140 grain managed recoil rounds. its all i have ever used but if your gun kickes like you said, then i know for a fact that the managed recoil rounds will make a big difference. im a small guy too and dont have a problem with kick. its got some, but nothing like what you have described. wal mart has a slip on remington recoil pad most of the ime for 10 ir 15 bucks also, i have one and it helps a ton on my 12 gauge, with the managed recoil rounds i have never felt the need to put it on my 7mm

Last edited by bradley300; 06-29-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Spike

I would say put on a jacket or buy a led sled to help stop recoil. I shoot the next step up I have the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag and I use to be scared of the gun, but I did some trigger work so I wouldnt have time to think about it an bought a led sled for target shooting. But when you shoot at a animal you won't even feel it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.