HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Problem Zeroing a 7mm Rem Mag.
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

what rifle setup do you have?

I'd suggest putting those crosshairs on target and pulling that trigger slowly, and trying to get the kick to surprise you and see how you shoot.

Pull slowly and if you feel yourself jump or starting to react before the kick, stop, take a breath, relax, and try to go slow and let the gun kick surprise you.

try wearing a sweatshirt, something thick, just a tshirt alotta times will make it extra hurt, just a sweatshirt can really help.

A lead sled can certainly help/allow you to shoot a bunch of rounds and get it zeroed, but after its on I'd re-zero it without the use of the lead sled as I think a lead sled increases muzzle rise since it wont recoil as hard/much with the sled...

Certainly have the gun completely loaded, ie if it holds 4 rounds have 4 loaded...perhaps a lighter bullet weight would help, 140gr tsx instead of 160/175, what bullet weight are yous hooting? if 175, I'd def step down to 140-160 and see...if that helps any.

If you just have a solid rubber pad then yes definitely a limbsaver etc...will help, but if you already have a big squishy one, replacing one with another won't do much.

If they make'em, maybe some reduced recoil loads, buy a box and shoot some just to get comfy shooting the rifle, then try to shoot 3 good rounds for a group and get on center...

What are you going hunting for? or just trying to get on center for a first time?

Though I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes, that is an option, or having it mag-na-port ed can help recoil. Could add some lead shot, etc...into the stock, or buy a mercury recoil reducer which usually just will screw onto the stock bolt...maybe consider that, it'll add weight and I think they help with recoil in other ways too, not just by adding weight.

Last edited by salukipv1; 06-28-2010 at 09:31 PM.