HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Problem Zeroing a 7mm Rem Mag.
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
jcouto
Spike

Default Problem Zeroing a 7mm Rem Mag.

I'm not sure where to put this post, but since I am preparing to go pig hunting, I'll put it here. I am fairly new to big game hunting, being a shotgun hunter most my life, and am branching out now. I own a rifle, bought a 7mm Rem Mag, so that it would be versatile and I could hunt anything I chose without needing to buy more rifles. I just put a scope on it and now I am having a hell of a time sighting it in. Here's the problem: I am a thin guy, not a lot of meat on the shoulder if you know what I mean, and this thing kicks like a mule. Every time I go to the range, by the time I put five shots through it, my shoulder hurts bad enough that I just KNOW that I am twitching as I pull the trigger. I occasionally set my mind to it and let the gun surprise me with recoil, and then the shots are pretty close. But as I try to make that fine tuning adjustment to zero it, I start twitching again. Then I have to head home again with a sore shoulder and start over next time. A friend recommended a limbsaver recoil pad, which I'll get, but I doubt that will fix the problem completely. Anyone have recommendations for protecting my shoulder without putting a huge lump of padding that would change my hold on the rifle so I can get the thing zero'd? I don't want to buy an expensive shooting jacket or vest that I'll hardly ever use just to zero the damn thing.