Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Concealed Carry... >

Concealed Carry...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Concealed Carry...

Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fusion Firearms 1911 (.45 ACP) commander bobtail. Carry in a Simply Rugged OWB. BUG is a Ruger SP101 in .357 mag.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glock 27 in 40 cal with a fobus belt clip holster
Old 04-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone seems to have a different preference. I have a G17 now, but its a little big. Thinking about going with either a 19 or 26. Although the Kahr's look pretty good too...

How are the 1911's to conceal? I really like them, it just seems like they would be a bit bulky...?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Here \'s a picture of mine..

Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Everyone seems to have a different preference. I have a G17 now, but its a little big. Thinking about going with either a 19 or 26. Although the Kahr's look pretty good too...

How are the 1911's to conceal? I really like them, it just seems like they would be a bit bulky...?
That's why I love my EMP. I get the 1911 feels and performance in a chopped down version. And you wouldn't believe how accurate this little thing is.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Late to the conversation, but I will pitch in anyway.

I used to carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra. Great pistol, very accurate, sometimes a Springfield 1911 G.I. model. But I have switched to a Ruger SP101 in 357.

I went with the revolver after a careful assessment of myself after a break-in and I had to search my house in case any bad guys were still in the house.

I am not a LEO or military vet (thank you to both groups!). I am a busy husband and father who works a full-time job for the man and is also trying to get his own business going. In short, my free time for range work is very limited.

I looked at my semis and came to the conclusion about myself that I needed a point-and-shoot weapon. I know racking a slide should be mindless and very quick. But one thing that break-in taught me was how debilitating fear (terror) can be.

Shortly after getting the revolver an incident occurred to confirm my decision.

My 3 year old daughter and I were out walking (to the mail box no less!) and I had the Ruger with me. A woman in the neighborhood was out walking with her dogs. One of them was quite large and not on a leash. Well this dog runs ahead of the woman and come straight for me and my daughter. Now the dog was probably just curious and protecting what it thought of as his turf - we were on a public road. The dog gets to within 15 some-odd feet of us. At this point I have picked up my daughter to protect her the other hand is on my Ruger, ready to shoot the dog if it showed the least bit of aggression. The dog's owner was about 100' away at this point and made no effort to recall the animal. The dog took a few sniffs around me and my daughter and then backed off.

Thank God for that Ruger revolver. With one arm holding my daughter, it would have been very difficult to chamber a round with a single-action semi.

I will be putting that revolver in a High Noon holster shortly.

Bottom line, assess your abilities and skills and realistically what you think you could operate is a high stress situation where you most likely have very little time.

Hope this was of some help.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Spike

As a retired LEO, my carry weapon when I am out is a S&W Model 37, nickel finish .38 Special loaded with Fiocchi 140 grain JHP's. I have others but this was my backup weapon for many years and now is my carry weapon. The holster is a clam-shell leather belt model, make u/k.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do you think that you'd need to chamber a round. My understanding is that most folks carry a 1911 ****ed and locked (ie round in chamber, hammer ****ed and safety on). Do you carry a semi-auto without a round in the chamber? I wouldn't.

Mike
Old 05-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
Why do you think that you'd need to chamber a round. My understanding is that most folks carry a 1911 ****ed and locked (ie round in chamber, hammer ****ed and safety on). Do you carry a semi-auto without a round in the chamber? I wouldn't.

Mike

i'd be more worried with a revolver
Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I carry either my Glock 26 or Glock 23. Both fit the same custom holster I have from HBE Leatherworks.
http://www.imageseek.com/hbeleather/...b_com/HPIM0233

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.