HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Concealed Carry...
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
RobertSubnet
Nontypical Buck

Late to the conversation, but I will pitch in anyway.

I used to carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra. Great pistol, very accurate, sometimes a Springfield 1911 G.I. model. But I have switched to a Ruger SP101 in 357.

I went with the revolver after a careful assessment of myself after a break-in and I had to search my house in case any bad guys were still in the house.

I am not a LEO or military vet (thank you to both groups!). I am a busy husband and father who works a full-time job for the man and is also trying to get his own business going. In short, my free time for range work is very limited.

I looked at my semis and came to the conclusion about myself that I needed a point-and-shoot weapon. I know racking a slide should be mindless and very quick. But one thing that break-in taught me was how debilitating fear (terror) can be.

Shortly after getting the revolver an incident occurred to confirm my decision.

My 3 year old daughter and I were out walking (to the mail box no less!) and I had the Ruger with me. A woman in the neighborhood was out walking with her dogs. One of them was quite large and not on a leash. Well this dog runs ahead of the woman and come straight for me and my daughter. Now the dog was probably just curious and protecting what it thought of as his turf - we were on a public road. The dog gets to within 15 some-odd feet of us. At this point I have picked up my daughter to protect her the other hand is on my Ruger, ready to shoot the dog if it showed the least bit of aggression. The dog's owner was about 100' away at this point and made no effort to recall the animal. The dog took a few sniffs around me and my daughter and then backed off.

Thank God for that Ruger revolver. With one arm holding my daughter, it would have been very difficult to chamber a round with a single-action semi.

I will be putting that revolver in a High Noon holster shortly.

Bottom line, assess your abilities and skills and realistically what you think you could operate is a high stress situation where you most likely have very little time.

Hope this was of some help.