Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need a LOW recoil rifle for deer >

Need a LOW recoil rifle for deer

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a LOW recoil rifle for deer

Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .257 Roberts kicks like a .243 Win. (very little recoil), but it has the ability to use 120 grain bullets if the situation calls for it. It is a sweet old round that doesn't get a lot of attention anymore, but it really works well.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest before doing anything have you dad check with the DR. My buddy had open heart surgery a few years back.I realize he's 15 years younger. He's hunting with a Ruger M-77 in 7mm Rem mag. Your dad's rifle is awful light that's where the recoil is coming from. My wife hunts with a Ruger M77 Compact in 7mm08. Very little recoil.
I wish your dad the best with medical issues. Hopefully you'll find the rifle and caliber that he can use.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not just get him a Marlin 336W in 30-30. You can buy a brand new one for $375 at Walmart. The 30-30's been killing deer just fine for the last 100 years and it hardly kicks at all. You mentioned that your dad isn't that great of a shot anymore so I can assume that long range shooting is out of the question anyway, and with leverevolution ammo the gun is good for deer out to 250 yards. I bought one in stainless last year and I love the gun.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the info, guys. Most of my dad's hunting is from a blind...but not all. A real heavy gun isn't the answer. I think the .243 in a 7400 or 740 is the answer.

Ruger...Thanks for the well wishes! He's been in discussion with his Dr constantly about the shooting thing. It's not a health issue...it's damage to the wires that are running from his heart to the device that are a concern here.

Once again, thanks guys.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Spike

Okay, as the new guy...let me throw in my 2 cents. I would go with the 7mm-08 or 260 Remington. I can speak personally of the 7mm-08. Sweet shooting caliber...very little kick.

I've heard very good things about the 260 as a kids gun or for the ladies. Should fit the bill.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pro-Line,First off let me say good health to your dad! Really can't add much to what the others have already said.One of my best buds just had a pacemaker implanted in his right shoulder(Nam vet) and he still likes to shoot.Doc told him not to shoot the long guns anymore.JMHO but a semi auto in .243 should do well.I would go with a brownie just because I think they are more accurate and mechanically sound than the remingtons .The 742's will eventually wear to the point that they will not function properly anymore and if you buy a used one you are really just taking a chance.Browning has a light weight semi in .243 but after handling both at my local dealers I could not tell that much difference.Got another bud that has been using a Browning semi in .243 for over 30 years and he is deadly with that stick.I even told my bud (The old fart with the pacemaker "aw you wuss just shoot the AR left handed ") as a joke but that might be an option also.Anyway ever how it goes good luck to you and your dad.Does a mans heart good to see a son thinking that much about their father.BTW I saw Pulaskiville.That wouldn't be anywhere near Roanokeski off 220 would it?......LOL
Old 04-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest a 243. You can also add a muzzle break if need to reduce recoil. The big down side to the muzzle break is the increase in noise.