Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Future Military Rifle XM 29 >

Future Military Rifle XM 29

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Future Military Rifle XM 29

Old 06-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Future Military Rifle XM 29

Just saw " Mail Call" and they were showing the prototype XM29 still in testing and developement. One of the features is a 20mm exploding round that is program to disperse at different distances. Weight 14lbs. Estimated to give 5x the fire power of the M16. Can you say," hooah" !
Old 06-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Furture Military Rifle XM 29

did it say what they were ging to use it on losthwy , last i knew being from a military family ( no , i' m not in the military though almost 3/4 of my family are or were ) , the military used nonlethal techniques that were just to wound unless i missunderstood my family members , an exploding bullet would do a lot of harm.

also wouldn' t it be against u.n. regulations as well ???
i' m just asking these as i' m not really sure anymore , does the article say anything about it buddy ??? let us know
Old 06-23-2003, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

the military used nonlethal techniques that were just to wound unless i missunderstood my family members
You can' t be serious. Last time I check my job was to kill the enemy not shoot him in the leg and ask him to give up. You definately misunderstood. A 20mm round is usually employed against hardened target, not personnel. If I understand the concept correctly this rifle will be used to penetrate defensive fighting positions and the like.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:54 PM
XTP

What you guys are referring to is the OICW program with the Hk entry being the winning design of a 5.56mm rifle combined with a 20mm grenade launcher on top.The sighting system will incorporate a range finder with a fire control computer to program the 20mm air burst round to detonate at a certain distance.The primary objective is a " no place to hide" weapon where if an enemy soldier is inside a building or dug into a hole,the round can be programed to go off over his head or just inside the window.The rifle uses standard ammunition.It is the Geneva convention that gives rules to warfare and every military in the world uses plenty of exploding toys!The offical military designation is the M29 and should be in service in spec. ops units by 2009.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Future Military Rifle XM 29

The rifle has a lazer sight, a 20mm exploding magazine fed rounds. The rounds can be programmed to explode at various distances by buttons at the trigger, like a few meters through a window inside a structure. They explode sending dispensing armour penatrating fragments. They didn' t mention it but, it looked like it had a separate magazine for conventional rounds. Buck Rogers meets G.I. JOE.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Future Military Rifle XM 29

Too much battery powered electronic doodads and gegaws. Would make a very nice short range assault weapon, but with what looks like about a 10" barrel, and a bulky design, I wouldn' t want to have to shoot at targets much further than 100 yards with the minimized rifle portion of the contraption.[]

http://www.hkpro.com/oicw.htm