Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 The finest foreign military rifle? >

The finest foreign military rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The finest foreign military rifle?

Old 05-06-2007, 08:24 PM

Default The finest foreign military rifle?

Who made the finest foreign military rifle? GB, Swiss, Austria, Japan, Germany, Russia, Spain, Finland and on and on.

My choice is the Japanese 7.7mm Arisaka with monopod and AA sights. This rifle was a upgraded K98 with features which no other country had even the slightest clue. It is said by many to be the strongest bolt action rifle ever made (including Jack O'Connor). The flip out wing AA sights were innovative and worked. My father was a B25 pilot in the SP during WWII and griped about ground fire all the time while on strafing missions. The caliber is nearly identical to the Springfield '06 and the field disassembly is very simple which facilitates cleaning and maintenance. The Arisaka type 99.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The finest foreign military rifle?

Bolt action-> Great Britain, Lee Enfield
Select Fire Battle Rifle->Belgium, FN FAL
Assault Rifle->USSR, AK-47
Old 05-06-2007, 11:55 PM

The Japs were tough, obviously. But you have to be kidding me with that crap. Get that crap outta here!

Give me an M1A1 or 1903 anyday and if my partners in thy fox hole don't have any use for theirs anymore then I will honor theirs! HOORAH!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm really leaning towards the Swiss K31. First and foremost, itstypical accuracy is excellent for a military rifle. It's also easy to shoot from behind cover quickly, andfield stripping is pretty quick and straightfoward. And to top it off, the 7.5 Swiss was an excellent cartridge that ranks up there with the 7.62x51.

I bought one recently but have not yet shot it extensively. I'll need some new glasses first in order to sit down for a good grouping session.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

M1A1, M14, (Not Foreign)and Lee-Enfield (Made in U.S.A., but used Foreign)
Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 AM

Since you asked for best foreign, I would say Mauser for all time bolt action and AK 47 otherwise.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Type 99 Arisaka was the first battle rifle to have a chrome plated bore. i've seen specimens that were rusted to heck on the outside with perfect bores.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice rifle[8D]

If I had to pick one rifle it would be the Swiss K-31.
Here's one of them that I put a clamp on scope mount on, I have 6 more of these beauties.

Edit; to add, the Swiss never used corrosively primed ammunition in the K-31s, and to top it off, the ammo was as good as any commercial match grade ammunition made today.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/small_arms/tavor/Tavor.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/future-weapons/weapons/zone1/arsenal-6.html

this thing is awesome, eventhough it shoot 5.56.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with those that said the Swiss. The trigger's on the Swiss are exceptional. The straight pull bolt allows for a fast transaction. The disassembly is very easy and straight forward. The accuracy is slightly unbelievable. A buddy of mine shoots pennies off paper from 50 yards with irons and no sand bags.

Tom

Quick Reply: The finest foreign military rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.