Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Military Stock on a Hunting Rifle? >

Military Stock on a Hunting Rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Military Stock on a Hunting Rifle?

Old 11-26-2006, 01:35 PM

Default Military Stock on a Hunting Rifle?

After shooting a borrowed rifle with a thumbhole stock, I decided I just gotta get one. But then I wondered, if I like the thumbhole so well, why not a full pistol grip with a shoulder rest, like an assault or sniper rifle?

Seems like with all the high tech stuff out there, someone would make one of these for hunting. With lightweight metal or composite, it could be light and strong. You could even put a kick absorber in it.

I have never heard of or seen this in a hunting rifle. Anyone have comments on plusses or minuses on this type of setup for hunting?

Old 11-26-2006, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Military Stock on a Hunting Rifle?

No, there is nothing wrong with it, I have seen a lot of guys hunt with AR-10's and M-14's.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:04 PM

Info on AR-10's>> http://world.guns.ru/assault/as16-e.htm

Pictured below on left is our AR-15. It is a great "beat around" ranch gun, brush gun, close encounter rifle.

On the right is our AR-10. Chambered in .308 of course....same type action as the AR-15. However, it does have a collapsable stock, and is a "flat top" as opposed to the carrying handle on the AR-15.

best of luck

Old 11-26-2006, 02:51 PM

Thanks for your answers. What I was thinking about was the ability to retrofit my Rem 700 or Winchester model 70 with this type of stock. Ever heard of that?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: jones123

Thanks for your answers. What I was thinking about was the ability to retrofit my Rem 700 or Winchester model 70 with this type of stock. Ever heard of that?
Why?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

Why?
I'm not sure if I would do that.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:57 PM

I mis-understood what you were getting at. Yes you can change stocks on your 700. You can put a McMillan or Accuracy International tactical stock on it with a box fed magazine.

The pic you originally posted looks like a semi-auto...that is what I thought you were talking about.

best of luck

Old 11-26-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually prefer a pistol grip for most shooting.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:15 PM

Why?
I'm not sure if I would do that.
Reason being that if I like the thumbhole so well, I might do even better with a pistol grip.

I'm not sure I would, either, that's why I am asking advice.

THANKS
Old 11-26-2006, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: diamondaranch

Yes you can change stocks on your 700. You can put a McMillan or Accuracy International tactical stock on it with a box fed magazine.

The pic you originally posted looks like a semi-auto...that is what I thought you were talking about.
No - just the only photo I could find that sort of illustrated what I was dreaming up for my rifle. Thanks for the info, I will look it up.

Quick Reply: Military Stock on a Hunting Rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.