Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
wipe out on rifle stock >

wipe out on rifle stock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wipe out on rifle stock

Old 03-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default wipe out on rifle stock

I am very bummed I tried to clean my barrel with wipeout yesterday and the foam went everywhere and got onto my stock by the pistol grip and cheek piece and has streaked it and kinda dulled to tarnished the wood in some places. This is a nice stock. Is there anything anyone can recommend? Should I try and get it stripped I thought about making it into a oiled stock. The foam on wipeout goes everywhere. I think I will try patchout instead. I feel like sueing theses guys. I can't believe I am the first to in counter this mess.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
bigcountry

wipeout is good at ruining a stock. To use wipeout, I and "paul company" recommends a bore guide, which alieviates issues as you are having. any of the aggresive bore cleaners will take off finish. You can't blame wipe out.

All you can do is find out what finish the stock has on it now. Sand the affected area with steel wool and hand rub in the finish no matter if its truoil, linseed, tung oil etc. Don't strip it. Unless you are experienced in refinishing stocks.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I think I can YES I was the driver behind the wheel but the design is so poor. They sell me a tube to use on the can that is way bigger than my bore so it won't go in the barrel. Then what happens to shaving cream it mushrooms up as does this foam. If patch out is the same they should pull this other off the market or make it alot more user friendly.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by gonewest
I think I can YES I was the driver behind the wheel but the design is so poor. They sell me a tube to use on the can that is way bigger than my bore so it won't go in the barrel. Then what happens to shaving cream it mushrooms up as does this foam. If patch out is the same they should pull this other off the market or make it alot more user friendly.
Well, are you saying you can't put the tube in the chamber end of the gun???? I can even with my 204ruger???? Your not supposed to use the tube in the crown end (dangerous end).

I have used it since it came out and never had trouble. You only need to hold down on the button for 1 or 2 seconds.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

I did try it down the mussle and pluged the chamber end so it didn't get into the action. I don't remember reading any of this in the directions. I didn't hve the gun flat. I thought i would fill up the barrel this way and come out the top when filled. I am going to the gun smith tommorrow and see if he can fix this stock. Its not bad it is there and bothers me
Old 03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by gonewest
I did try it down the mussle and pluged the chamber end so it didn't get into the action. I don't remember reading any of this in the directions. I didn't hve the gun flat. I thought i would fill up the barrel this way and come out the top when filled. I am going to the gun smith tommorrow and see if he can fix this stock. Its not bad it is there and bothers me
You can't plug an end. It builds up pressure and needs pressure to escape. You put the tube in the chamber with the bolt open. You hold tight against the tube to insure good seal. I use a bore guide. One to 3 seconds hold and it will come out the muzzle.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Are you using the swissel stick straw or are you using the adaptor with the clear tube? thanks for the info
Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used this stuff but I like the patch out. Just make sure not to get it on your stock either.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wouldnt bother even contacting the manufacture and complaining as im willing to bet it says right on the can not to get it on certain stuff...most of the stuff does....

the foam can be a mess to use till you get the hang of it....but its amazing at getting copper out....

i put it in the chamber and give it a squirt...
Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Fork Horn

gonewest, it's people like you that drive me nuts, "SUE" find a forum that centers around knitting or something!! I see benchrest shooters using wipeout all the time on $5,000 to $8,000 rigs. They all use caution and have no issues. Please don't ever try to glass bed a rifle, I can' imagine the lawsuits a guy like you could come up with over doing a job like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.